Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
West Dunbartonshire
NS 50198 69512
250198, 669512


Peter Paul Pugin, 1903, extended Pugin and Pugin, 1907 (see Notes). Nave and aisles RC church with gable to street, and with remarkable series of leaded glass windows. Gothic. Built of bull-faced red ashlar with polished dressings. Main gabled elevation has 5 tall lancets - the inner taller - and 2 doors; buttresses, those at angles carried above eaves and gabletted; aisle end walls not given identical treatment.

Chancel, side chapels and baptistry. Slate roofs. Elaborate interior, with distinctive high altar and reredos with sculptured figures and canopied niches; stations of the Cross by Morgari of Turin; aisle arcades on octagonal columns; wooden shrine to the Madonna of Perpetual Succour brought from Rome.

PRESBYTERY: 1895, Peter Paul Pugin, extended 1907, Pugin and Pugin. Adjoining chancel; 2 storeys, 3 bays, also

bull-faced red ashlar and with mullioned windows, piended

slate roof.

Boundary walls with stone piers, iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Place of Worship in use as such. This church and adjoining presbytery are an excellent example of the Glasgow church designs of the important firm of British architects, Pugin & Pugin. Well-decorated and detailed externally, the church and presbytery have significant streetscape presence in the area.

The presbytery was built in 1895 and later extended in 1907 to join the church. The south aisle of the church was slightly extended in 1907 with the addition of two further confessionals. There is a 1867 Mirrlees organ in the church, installed in 1996, and originally from St Joseph's, North Woodside Road, Glasgow (now demolished).

Under the direction of Peter Paul Pugin, the firm of Pugin and Pugin held a virtual monopoly of church building for the archdiocese of Glasgow in the latter part of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century. In total, they designed 20 churches for the diocese and 28 in Scotland from 1875 - 1904. The firm's churches all reflect a similar early Gothic form in the use of the basilican plan, with a short sanctuary and clear internal views from the nave and aisles. Externally, the majority of Pugin and Pugin churches are designed in the Gothic style, of red sandstone material with good decoration, unusual tracery patterns and dominant west fronts.

Notes and references updated in 2012.



2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1899). 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1922). Further Information from Mr Thomas Logue.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLASGOW ROAD, CHURCH OF OUR HOLY REDEEMER, PRESBYTERY AND BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/03/2024 03:39