Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KIRK STREET, THE MANSE, WITH GARAGE, GATEPIERS, AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB22945

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/07/1971
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 72103 20267
Coordinates
172103, 620267

Description

David Hamilton of Glasgow, 1835. 2-storey 3-bay manse of rectangular plan with flanking single storey screen walls and garage to SE. Roughcast with painted ashlar margins. Stepped base course and eaves course. Raised margins at corners, windows, and doorways.

SW (KIRK STREET) ELEVATION: symmetrical 3-bay elevation with wing projecting to right. Pilastered doorpiece at head of stone steps at centre, Tuscan columned porch with entablature. stop chamfered outer window margins, windows corniced at ground floor. Band course, cornice and blocking course at eaves. Band course articulated at eaves, corniced returned at ends, blocking course raised and coped over bays. Flanking coped single storey walls with door opening in NW wall and corresponding blind window in SE (former kitchen wing) wall. Link wall to garage with cement rendered infilled window.

NW ELEVATION: blank gable with narrow window centred at 1st floor.

SE ELEVATION: blank gable with modern lean-to porch at ground floor.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical 3-bay elevation with single stair window at centre bay, and 2 closely spaced windows at 1st floor bay to left.

Lying-pane timber sash and case windows at 1st floor and 18-pane stair window of rear elevation only. Modern glazing elsewhere. Timber entrance door with modern board covering, 4-pane fanlight above. Vertically-boarded timber doors to flanking walls. Grey slate roof, piended and bell-cast at W end of garage. Piend-roofed, slate-hung dormers with 8-pane timber sash and case windows at rear pitch of main roof. Cast-iron gutters and downpipes. 5-flue, coped ashlar apex stack at NW gable, coped, rendered and lined 6-flue stack at SE gable, both with octagonal and circular cans.

INTERIOR: tiled entrance vestibule floor. Stone stair with cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. Other fittings surviving including 6-panel doors and panelled shutters.

GARAGE: rectangular plan with base and eaves courses, and margins at corners. Modern garage opening in SW front.

BOUNDARY WALLS: droved ashlar dwarf wall (railings removed), terminated by droved, square, stop chamfered gatepiers with pyramidal caps with crescent decoration to each face. Matching gatepiers to entrance gate, with modern wrought-iron gates. Random rubble boundary walls to NW and NE sides of garden.

Statement of Special Interest

On 18th April 1834, a plan for rebuilding the manse on the site of the old one was procured from Mr Hamilton with a consulting room connected to the study. Mr James Taylor offered to execute Hamilton?s scheme, including the railings, for ?1176.12s and agrees to finish the work by 1835. ?18 was allowed for three marble chimneypieces in the library, dining room and drawing room.

A single storey former kitchen wing has been demolished giving a larger yard between the house and the garage. The crisp lines of this building belie the sophistication of Hamilton?s design, evident in purposeful continuity of line and elements. This has been compromised somewhat by the removal of the timber sashes and rebuilding of the SE stack without the original cope, but this remains Campbeltown?s most important house of this period.

References

Bibliography

HERITORS MINUTES (1822-1836) ORDNANCE PLAN OF CAMPBELTOWN (1868) NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KIRK STREET, THE MANSE, WITH GARAGE, GATEPIERS, AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 23:54