Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
NR 72970 20892
172970, 620892


Circa 1820. 2-storey over raised basement, 3-bay symmetrical house

of double pile plan, with later 19th century wing projecting to rear, flanking laundry and stable pavilions, contemporary with main house. Smooth cement-render to principal front, harled sides, rear wing and pavilions. Raised margins and projecting cills to house windows, droved at rear and side elevations. 1st floor windows square.

S ELEVATION: 3-bay, with slightly advanced, wider, outer bays. Band course above basement and eaves course, ashlar margins. Sandstone ashlar stair with decorative cast-iron railings oversailing basement accessing semicircular recess at principal floor behind distyle screen of Tuscan columns and pilasters, flush with 1st floor. Entrance door centring recess with decorative rectangular fanlight above. Frieze and cornice above with blind balustrade serving as apron to 1st floor pilaster-flanked window.

W ELEVATION: 2-bay, symmetrical, with single window only at centre of 1st floor.

E ELEVATION: 2 bays to left of centre, with blind window to 1st floor bay to outer left, and single barred window at basement.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: 3-bay, with centre bay obscured by rear wing and ground floor right bay by lean-to addition with door to left and small windows.

REAR WING: single storey and attic, connecting to 2-storey section, gabled to S. Single storey section with single window in W wall, double-height E wall with bipartite window at upper level. 2-storey section with single door to right of centre at N wall, accessing terrace, pend at ground floor to S. Single bipartite to 1st floor of

W elevation, 2-bay E elevation at 1st floor.

Timber sash and case windows, 4-pane to principal and side elevations of house, original 9-pane pattern at 1st floor of rear and E elevations, mixture of plate glass, 4, and 16-pane windows at rear wing. Grey slate, piended M-roof to main house. Piended roof to N end of wing, partially piended roof over single storey section, slate-hung, piend-roofed timber dormer window to W pitch. Cast-iron gutters and downpipes. 2 panelled ashlar stacks with margins at corners and octagonal cans to each ridge of M-roof. Rendered apex stack at wing gable, brick wallhead stack centring N elevation.

INTERIOR: mosaic floor to porch, most internal fittings surviving including marble chimneypieces, 6-panel doors and staircase with cast-iron balusters and timber handrail.

LAUNDRY (E) WING: harled, 3-bay symmetrical S elevation, segmental-arched recesses at ground floor with wide window openings, rectangular blind windows below eaves. Slightly recessed centre bay with entrance door at ground floor. Piended grey slate roof with piend-roofed, slate-hung timber dormers, with multi-pane sash and case windows, breaking eaves at bay to outer left and at centre of E and W elevation. Harled 3-flue stack centring ridge with decorative octagonal cans. Cast-iron gutters and downpipes.

STABLE (W) WING: matching laundry, except no dormer to S front, garage door inserted at 1st and 2nd bays, segmental cart arch at bay to outer right, and no stack or dormer to S front. Vertically-boarded 2-leaf timber doors with wrought-iron hinges to cart arch.

2-storey hen house and corn store to rear, connected by single storey dog kennel and pigsty. Hen house of random rubble and brick, doors to both levels centring N elevation, small window at ground floor to left and chamfered corner to right. Vertically-boarded timber doors and grey slate pitched roof. Roofless random rubble cow shed immediately to W.

BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble, with matching pair of gates to High Askomil, stugged squared and snecked square ashlar gatepiers, corniced with domed caps and flanking quadrant walls. Cast and wrought-iron 2-leaf gates.

Statement of Special Interest

Bellgrove was built by John Mackersie (a builder in Campbeltown from 1809) for Captain Charles Campbell - at the time provost of the burgh. An extract from Evidence before the House of Lords concerning Harbour dues at Dalintober Quay refers to some of the stones for Campbell?s house being landed on the beach below the site and all the rest being landed on Dalintober Quay. This is a sophisticated house, perhaps with the influence of Robert Adam in the recessed porch and screen. The wings and outhouses are a rare survival, providing a fascinatingly complete group of buildings, laid out in Palladian form to service the occupants of the house.



George Martin BURGH PLAN (1845) Argyll & Bute Council Archive DR4/9/133 ORDNANCE PLAN OF CAMPBELTOWN (1868) SCOTTISH BOUNDARIES REPORT (1832) Argyll & Bute Council Archive DR4/9/120 Mary Streete Campbell A NONAGENERIAN?S MEMOIRS (1933).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH ASKOMIL, BELLGROVE, WITH STABLE, LAUNDRY, OUTBUILDINGS, BOUNDARY WALLS, GATES, AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/01/2019 18:37