Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

MILLKNOWE ROAD, FORMER HAZELBURN DISTILLERY, INCLUDING TENEMENT, MANAGERS OFFICES, WAREHOUSES, GATEPIER, AND BOUNDARY WALLLB22929

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
28/08/1980
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 71686 20848
Coordinates
171686, 620848

Description

Complex of distillery buildings dating from 1836, including tenement

to street with flanking office wing of circa 1888 to NW and duty free warehouses to SE, both at right angles to street giving U-plan.

TENEMENT: 3-storey and attic, 4-bay. Squared rubble walls to street, roughcast side and rear elevations, droved window margins and projecting cills, eaves course. Regular fenestration, ground floor window in 2nd bay corniced, segmentally-arched pend in bay to outer right with stop-chamfered margins. Blank roughcast gable wall to NW.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: 4 bays, with segmentally-arched pend at ground floor bay to left. Circular stair tower projecting in 3rd bay with

2 windows to intermediate levels, and 2 slit windows in re-entrant angle to left. Ashlar coped wall intersecting stair tower at ground, terminated to left by square stugged ashlar gatepier with base, and pyramidal and surmounted by iron lamp. Pedestrian gate opening adjacent to gatepier. Office wing intersecting at ground floor bay to outer right.

Timber sash and case windows 4-pane to street elevation, 12-pane to rear, lying-pane at top left, plate glass lower sash at upper stair window, 4-pane at 1st floor to outer right, plate glass to narrow windows. Modern timber infill at pend, glazed doors to rear. Grey slate roof continued over stair tower, piend-roofed, slate-hung timber dormers to rear pitch, multi-pane casement windows. Cast-iron gutters and downpipes. 13-flue apex stack to NW gable, 6-flue stack at ridge to right of 3rd bay, both roughcast, with dressings at corners, coped with circular cans.

INTERIOR: many internal fittings intact including fireplaces, shutters, doors and cornices.

DISTILLERY MANAGERS OFFICES: later 19th century, 5-bay, single storey wing projecting to NE from rear of gabled single bay extension to street frontage. Stugged sandstone ashlar with droved arrises at SE elevation, coursed rubble elsewhere with droved raised margins at windows and corners.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 bays, base course and eaves course, lower eaves section at 1st bay. Entrance doors in 1st and 2nd bays, bipartite windows in 3rd to 5th bays.

NW ELEVATION: 5 bays with blank gable end of tenement wing to outer right. Bipartite windows at 1st, 2nd and 5th bays, tripartite at 3rd bay. Entrance door at 4th bay.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. 6-panel, 2-leaf entrance door to offices at 2nd bay of SE elevation. Modern timber and glazed doors elsewhere. Welsh slate roof, cast-iron gutters and downpipes, profiled gutters at principal front with square downpipe and decorative hopper and brackets. Pair of ashlar ridge stacks with no copes or cans.

INTERIOR: 5-panelled doors, shutters, high timber wainscoting, and patterned timber ceiling all surviving. Ornate timber chimneypiece comprised of cast-iron tiled grate with panelled timber surround. Panelled overmantle with mirror at centre, flanking mirrors over panelled bases flanked by turned columns, arch-heads above infilled with radial patterns. Cornice above with balustrade, section at centre with semicircular arch surmounted by open pediment. Accounts clerk desk, customs room cupboard also surviving.

DUTY FREE WAREHOUSE: 3 x 8-bay, 4-storey, former warehouse of rectangular plan with principal front to Millknowe Road adjoining tenement. Stugged ashlar frontages to SW and NW, roughcast SE elevation, random rubble NE elevation with roughcast gablehead.

SW (MILLKNOWE ROAD) ELEVATION: 3 bays, regularly fenestrated, with square windows at 3rd floor.

SE ELEVATION: 8 bays, string course at 2nd floor, regularly fenestrated at upper floors except for paired windows to each floor at 8th bay. 1st floor window to outer right infilled. Ground floor, window in 1st bay with entrance door to right and window at 2nd bay. Modern entrance doors in 3rd - 8th bays.

NE ELEVATION: gable end with windows to each floor at outer right, and evidence of infilled openings.

NW ELEVATION: 7 bays, regularly fenestrated, ground floor, blind openings and service door in 3rd bay, and loading doors in 1st bay of each floor above.

2 and 4-pane modern glazing to all openings and modern diagonally- boarded timber doors. Welsh slate roof, piended at S corner. Cast-iron gutters and downpipes.

BOUNDARY WALL: 3-bay, single storey former end gable (now reduced) of warehouse to SE of Duty Free Warehouse. Stugged squared and snecked rubble with stugged and droved dressings. 3 regularly spaced, blind openings.

Statement of Special Interest

Hazelburn Distillery originally stood in Longrow with its malt barns in what is now Longrow South. Around 1840, a large new distillery was built in Millknowe. It had 9 on-site warehouses, and, unusually for Campbeltown, had 2 on-site dwellings. Distilling at Hazelburn ceased in 1929. A photograph of the early 1970?s shows the elevation to Millknowe Street with an entrance door in the 2nd bay of the tenement (now an architraved and corniced window) and the single storey boundary wall as one of a pair of 3-bay, 2-storey gable ends. The tenement and warehouse are fine examples of early 19th century burgh and industrial architecture. A good effort has been made to retain the original character of these buildings, and they remain an important reminder of the once thriving whisky industry in Campbeltown.

References

Bibliography

Alfred Barnard, THE WHISKY DISTILLERIES OF THE UNITED KINGDOM (1987) p54 John R Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND (1977) p147 ORDNANCE PLAN OF CAMPBELTOWN (1868) Brian Townsend SCOTCH MISSED (1993).

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MILLKNOWE ROAD, FORMER HAZELBURN DISTILLERY, INCLUDING TENEMENT, MANAGERS OFFICES, WAREHOUSES, GATEPIER, AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/11/2018 06:42