Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CASTLEHILL, CASTLEHILL MANSIONS, (FORMERLY LOWLAND CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, AND GATEPIERSLB22910

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
20/07/1971
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Campbeltown
NGR
NR 71812 20205
Coordinates
171812, 620205

Description

George Haswell of Inveraray, 1779-81. 5-bay, 2-storey (3-storey to rear) symmetrical classical former church, of rectangular plan with wing projecting to rear, converted to residential use circa 1985. Rubble walls with ashlar dressings and details, all painted. Base course, cornice at eaves. Raised margins to windows and corners, projecting cills.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay advance section to centre surmounted

by corniced pediment, blind bull?s-eye in tympanum. 2-tier square former belfry at apex with upper tier set at angle, pyramidal cap surmounted by urn. Flanking urns. Architraved entrance door at centre, approached by concrete steps with coped and rendered walls.

NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay, 2-storey at 1st bay, with cill and lintel heights corresponding to principal front. 3-storey at 2nd to 4th bays, no window at 1st floor 4th bay.

SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: 4-bay, 3-storey 1st to 3rd bays, no window at 1st floor, outer left. 2-storey at 4th bay with cill heights corresponding to principal front.

SW ELEVATION: 6-bay, projecting wing at centre with 2 small windows at 1st floor. Single ground floor windows at flanking elevations, centring bays above. Single-storey additions to ground floor.

Timber sash and case windows to 2-storey section, 15-pane to ground floor, 12-pane to 1st floor. Modern glazing to 3-storey section and additions. Diagonally-boarded 2-leaf entrance door with modern hinges and handle, 8-pane rectangular fanlight above. Grey slate roof to main block, rear wing and addition. Lead platform and slight bell-cast to eaves of main block.

BOUNDARY WALLS: random rubble, rendered to road, ashlar coped with original urn and spear finial railing. Lined concrete gatepiers with caps.

Statement of Special Interest

This building replaced the Lowland Kirk in Kirk Street. It was built on the site of Kinloch (or Lochhead) Castle, stronghold of the Earls of Argyll as Lord of Kintyre, which was demolished by General Leslie?s army in 1647. George Haswell of Inveraray was the architect, and building operations were supervised by John Brown, mason and architect, also of Inveraray. As it was intended chiefly as a burghal church, the Town Council was classified as a heritor and paid two-fifths of its cost. A photograph of 1868 shows it with 24-pane timber sash and case windows at ground, 16-pane at 1st floor with 20-pane windows at centre. It also shows square gatepiers with ball finials and iron gates, as well as a weathercock surmounting the tower and a bell in the bellcote. It was altered to a T-plan arrangement from 1883 with a gallery on three sides of the main hall and a pulpit centring the SW side. It was closed in 1971 and converted to flats circa 1986. There is evidence on the side elevations that the windows adjacent to the rear elevation have been altered from their original sizes that corresponded to the principal front. This means that the side elevations would originally have been symmetrical. Although glazing to the 3-storey section is unfortunate, an effort has been made to retain the original appearance of the building from the street. The building is important for terminating the view up Main Street and Castlehill.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Groome?s GAZETTEER C Mactaggart LOWLAND CHURCH OF CAMPBELTOWN (1923) p9, 13 RCAHMS Inventory ARGYLL Vol 1 (1971)

No 264 (ill) SCOTTISH BOUNDARIES REPORT (1832) Argyll & Bute Council Archive DR4/9/120 George Langlands & Son BURGH PLAN (1801) George Hay THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST REFORMATION CHURCHES 1560-1843 (1957) George Martin BURGH PLAN (1845) Argyll & Bute Council Archive DR4/9/133 CAMPBELTOWN COURIER (10.7.1880, 29.4.1882) Ian G Lindsay INVERARAY AND THE DUKES OF ARGYLL (1973) "Campbeltown Week" Publications CAMPBELTOWN 1700-1950 Norman S Newton CAMPBELTOWN?S CHURCHES (1991) p5, 9.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CASTLEHILL, CASTLEHILL MANSIONS, (FORMERLY LOWLAND CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/08/2022 23:05