Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

DARNAWAY CASTLE AND TERRACESLB2283

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 26/01/1971

Location

  • Local Authority: Moray
  • Planning Authority: Moray
  • Parish: Dyke And Moy

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NH 99441 55064
  • Coordinates: 299441, 855064

Description

Alexander Laing, dated 1802-12, mansion on site of earlier

castle and fronting re-cased mid 15th century Randolph's

Hall. Castellated N facing 3 and 4-storey rectangular 11-bay

mansion with Randolph's hall projecting at rear to form

T-plan. Further single storey kitchen range of varied height

extends at W.

Tooled red sandstone ashlar, polished ashlar dressings.

Outer and centre 3 bays slightly advanced, the centre block

rising to 4 storeys. Centre entrance in raised ground floor

in N front reached by balustraded perron (1870) linked to

balustraded screen wall masking raised basement. Entrance

porch flanked by engaged columns linked by balustrade with

coat of arms.

Storeys delineated by band courses and all windows (except

raised basement) hoodmoulded (pointed headed in centre 3 bays

raised ground and 1st floors) and linked by cill bands.

Corbelled and crenellated wallhead with dummy angle

bartizans; piended platform slate and lead roofs.

RANDOLPH'S HALL: 3 long Y-traceried windows with stained

glass light E and W elevations. Further window in S gable;

crenellated wallhead matching frontage; steeply pitched slate

roof.

KITCHEN: extensive single storey kitchen range lit by

pointed-and square-headed windows (the former with

intersecting tracery); clock tower with open cupola above

clock stage capped by leaded multi-facetted leaded dome with

4 diminutive louvred lucarnes and weathervane finial. Service

court enclosed by high buttressed wall (1920).

INTERIOR: Entrance hall with ornate plaster frieze and 4

marbled columns; marble chimneypiece with swagged detailing.

Entrance hall leads direct to RANDOLPH'S HALL with mid 15th

century hammer beam roof; re-modelled 1802-12 and circa 1900.

MIRRORED E AND W STAIRHALLS AND STAIRCASES linked at raised

ground floor and 1st floor by long corridors with

intermediate arches. Ornate cast-iron balustrade to

staircases with lion's head detailing; decorative plaster

ceiling to stairwell.

DRAWING ROOM: white marble chimneypiece; plaster frieze with

anthemion and urn decoration.

DINING ROOM: screen of marbled columns separates sideboard

recess; grey marble chimneypiece with fluted columns and

swagged frieze.

KITCHEN linked to dining room by colonaded passage.

TERRACES: wide raised balustraded terrace encloses area

fronting main entrance to castle.

Further balustraded terracing at E.

Statement of Special Interest

In 1314 King Robert the Bruce erected his lands in Moray into

an Earldom and bestowed it on his nephew Thomas Randolph.

Earldom reverted to Crown 1455 and in 1501 James IV granted

it to his illegitimate son, James Stuart. Various similar

vicissitudes and subsequent reversals to Crown. 1580 James VI

granted Earldom to James Stewart heir to Stewarts of Doune

who married Lady Elizabeth, daughter of deceased Earl of

Moray, and family descended through that line to present

time. Kitchen clock tower originally designed as water tower.

Clock installed circa 1950, having been removed from

Kinfauns, Perthshire, after Moray Estates disposed of that

property.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xx (1798), p. 224. NEW STATISTICAL

ACCOUNT xiii (1842), p. 22.

J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp. 64-70.

MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE

OF SCOTLAND i (1887), pp. 304-6. Howard Colvin, A

BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840 (1978), p.

500. Moray Estate Papers and National Monuments Record of

Scotland. Further information by courtesy, Moray Estates.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 30/08/2016 11:49