Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 23318 85731
323318, 685731


1843, site re-developed 1988. Entrance and belfry in Italianate style with remaining walls of Free Church, destroyed by fire 1986, adapted for public sitting area. Ashlar with quoin strips, band courses and stone mullions.

BELFRY: 3-stage tower with blind Venetian window at ground below bracketed coping; 2nd stage with blind oculus to each face; 3rd stage, round-headed opening to bellcote with cast-iron grille to each face, corniced pyramidal cap with spike finial.

FORMER ENTRANCE: now pedestrian gateway. Blockish, square-headed, deeply chamfered opening, cast-iron lamp bracket to street.

WALLS: low coped ashlar boundary walls to street and coped random rubble walls with steps down to site.

Statement of Special Interest

Known as the Coupar Kirk after Rev David Coupar who led his congregation out of the Parish Church. Original building erected as a warehouse circa 1830 and subsequently converted to a Church with schoolroom below in 1843 when the belfry was added at the S. The site was donated by George Young of Leith, with building and conversion costs met by John and Robert Young; the furnishing of vestry, pulpit and gallery front were the gift of Misses Helen and Elizabeth Young. Situated immediately opposite the entrance to the Parish Kirk, this was an important site for the breakaway congregation of the 1843 disruption.



1st OS map, 1854. John Gifford, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND, FIFE, (1992) p110. FIFE FREE PRESS undated cutting ref 263, Burntisland Library.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to EAST LEVEN STREET, FREE CHURCH TOWER AND WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/08/2020 10:51