Duncan MacMillan, architect, 1878-9. Substantial Gothic
church; rectangular with S entrance gable and square
4-stage tower at SW. Tooled rubble, tooled and polished
ashlar dressings. Slightly projecting gabled centre entrance
in S gable with 2 doors divided by chamfered trumeau,
V-tracery in fanlight above. Double-leaf plank doors with
ornate cast-iron hinges. Large centre 5-light geometric
traceried window above with flanking stepped buttress at
right terminating as wallhead pinnacle; narrow outer right
single pointed-headed plate traceried window. 4-stage tower
with diagonal stepped buttresses; simple lancets in ground
stage, triple lancets in 2nd stage, large louvred plate
traceried windows in 3rd stage and clock faces in 4th stage
with angle pinnacles supporting simplified finialled crown.
Buttressed 5-bay W elevation with narrow lights. Rose window
in N gable. Cross apex at S gable; slate roof with small
triangular louvred vents.
INTERIOR: lofty interior galleried around 3 sides, gallery
with cusped panelled front supported by slender painted
cast-iron columns. Organ at N gable fronted by cusped
panelled pulpit reached by flight of stairs and fronted by
seating and communion table; mainly lattice-pane glazing.
Braced rafter roof rising from corbel-heads.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Built on site of and replacing earlier church designed by
William Robertson, Elgin, 1834.
Corner site with Cluny Square.
Modern extension at rear of church not included in listing.