Main fabric dates from 12th century onwards. Aisleless choir
first pointed Gothic. West front and 70' tower begun 13th
century, completed 14th century. 58' stone spire added 15th
century, vaulted ground floor. 5-bay nave with octagonal
piers on south and alternately octagonal and clustered on
north. East responds and 2 piers of first pointed period,
the rest later. Clearstorey windows over piers, concealed
when nave reroofed and aisles rebuilt in single span in
1806 original transepts demolished same date. General
restoration 1899-1902, John Honeyman (Glasgow) architect.
South aisle and transept rebuilt in approximately original
form New north aisle and porch. Chancel restored in form
shorter than original. Queen's Aisle added on north rich
late decorated treatment. Fine stained glass by Henry
Holiday, William Wilson and others.