Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 99755 81657
299755, 681657


Early 19th century with late 19th century shopfronts, restored 1978 by Falkirk District Council. 5-storey, 4-bay, rectangular-plan warehouse converted to flatted dwellings with shops at ground, closing irregular terrace to W. Rubble with ashlar margins and rusticated quoins. Pilastraded shopfront to S. Deep base course, frieze and ground floor cornice, eaves course.

N (WAGGON ROAD) ELEVATION: round stair tower projecting at centre with narrow window to each floor above ground and part-glazed timber door on return to left at ground; 4 regularly-fenestrated flanking bays, those to ground left part-blocked.

S (NORTH STREET) ELEVATION: full-width pilastraded shopfront to ground with 2-leaf panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight at centre, 2 display windows and further door to right, and centre door shop to left. 4 regularly-disposed windows to each floor above, those to 4th floor smaller.

E ELEVATION: window to centre at ground with part-blocked hoist opening to each floor above and windows in flanking bays.

4-pane glazing pattern in timber casement windows (1978). Piended slate roof. Coped squared rubble merlon-like wallhead stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

Good survival of early grain store situated at the harbour of Bo'ness, a major exporter of grain. The rows of wallhead chimneys are indicative of the grain drying function. Awarded the Saltire Society Award for Housing Area Rehabilitation in 1980. Waggon Road formed part of the route of a coal waggon-way constructed by the trustees of Dr John Roebuck in 1772. The route ran from new pits on high ground to the south of Bo'ness, northwards down Church Wynd and along the shore to the West Pier.



Gifford and Walker STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002), p264. Richard Jacques FALKIRK AND DISTRICT (2001), pp131-2. Falkirk Museums BO'NESS TOWN TRAIL. First Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1865).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 29 - 43 (ODD NOS) WAGGON ROAD AND 9 NORTH STREET, THE GRANARY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/06/2023 02:07