Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CARRIDEN OLD CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB22347

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
25/11/1980
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Burgh
Bo'Ness
NGR
NT 1874 81226
Coordinates
301874, 681226

Description

1766. T-plan simple Gothic roofless ruined church with 1863 2-stage clock tower to E with lucarned stone spire and session house (roofed) to W. Sandstone rubble to original church with ashlar dressings, squared and snecked sandstone to tower and session house. Graveyard mainly 18th, 19th and 20th century monuments including those to Dr John Roebuck and Admiral Sir James Hope.

N ELEVATION: to left, tower with entrance at ground and angle buttresses to 1st stage. Simple pointed arch openings to N, E and S and oculi to all faces at 2nd stage. To right, slightly advanced single bay and advanced gabled wing with central aedicule protecting 1771 Ionic order monument to Sir William Maxwell of Carriden with pulvinated frieze. Above, biblical quote within carved stone frame. To far right, recessed single bay and recessed 2-bay wing of session house.

No roofing or glazing, except graded grey slates and some cast-iron brattishing to session house.

INTERIOR: ruinous.

GRAVEYARD: to N of church, small decorative Saracen Foundry cast-iron drinking fountain with dish. Monument to Admiral Sir James Hope, died 1881, has cast-iron anchor chain border. Monument to Dr Roebuck set within low stone wall with cast-iron railings. Some modest cast-iron headstones.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to W, square gatepiers with pyramidal caps and cast-iron gates. Rubble wall with semicircular coping to N and cast-iron railings to S.

Statement of Special Interest

A modern cemetery lies to the east.

When the congregation for this church became too large Carriden Parish Church (see separate listing) immediately to the N was constructed in 1908-09 to provide extra seating. Peddie & Kinnear were commissioned to draw up plans in 1905-06 for the restoration of the old church, but these were not carried out. The old church was retained as a picturesque ruin.

Admiral Sir James Hope and Dr J Roebuck are buried in the graveyard. Hope owned Carriden House (see separate listing) and was responsible for many improvements to Carriden Estate including the creation of the model village of Muirhouses. Dr J Roebuck rented nearby Kinneil House (see separate listing) from the Hamiltons and was founder of the renowned Carron Iron Works.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey Map (1854-6). NATIONAL MONUMENTS RECORD OF SCOTLAND, ARCHITECTURAL PLANS, DPM 1900/31/1; DPM 1900/31/2 (1905-06). T J Salmon, BORROWSTOUNNESS AND DISTRICT (1913) p430-31. W F Hendrie, BO'NESS IN OLD PICTURE POSTCARDS VOLUME 2 (1990) No 52. R Murray, BO'NESS - A GLIMPSE OF THE PAST (1995) p30. W F Hendrie, BO'NESS THE FAIR TOWN (1998) p32. R Jaques, FALKIRK AND DISTRICT (2001) p153. Gifford & Walker, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND - STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002) p309.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARRIDEN OLD CHURCH AND GRAVEYARD INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 13/12/2019 16:02