Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

RATTRAY (NEW), BALMORAL ROAD, KEATHBANK MILLLB22332

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/10/1971
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Blairgowrie And Rattray
NGR
NO 17776 46153
Coordinates
317776, 746153

Description

John Kerr & Co, 1864-5, incorporating earlier 1820-30 mill, converted to museum and visitor centre. 2-storey with raised basement and attic, 8-bay jute spinning mill. Rubble with ashlar dressings.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 7 regularly-disposed windows to ground floor over full-width lean-to slate roof of raised basement, and lean-to roof of later link in bay to right; timber doors close to outer angles at 1st floor, that to left with ironwork fire escape ladder, and later heraldic device at centre. Full-width banded rooflight above.

W (RIVER ERICHT) ELEVATION: 8 windows to each floor except to outer right at basement with timber door.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: ball-finialled gabled elevations each with small window high up in gablehead, that to S over lower wheelhouse (see below), that to N with single 1st floor opening to centre over earlier mill.

Multi-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews.

1820-30 MILL: single storey and raised basement, 4-bay, rectangular-plan slated rubble mill with gables to E and W and adjoining above-detailed mill at N; converted 1865 to house steam engine, additional brick-built storey added circa 1960.

BOILER HOUSE AND STALK: single storey, rectangular-plan, slated rubble boiler house with ball-finialled gables and tapering octagonal red brick chimney stalk, reduced to 105'.

WHEELHOUSE: 3-bay, gabled rubble wheelhouse at lower level to S.

ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: timber and corrugated-iron clad links to 2-by 4-bay warehouse at N with 1st floor loading door to E. Isolated slate-roofed ancillaries to E.

Associated concrete lade and sluices.

INTERIOR: timber floors and roof on cast-iron columns, cast-iron roof trusses to single storey N outshot. Single cylinder horizontal engine, 1862-5 by J & C Carmichael (Dundee), 22" cylinder, 4' stroke, 17' flywheel, later drop valves. Waterwheel 1865, by J Kerr (Dundee), 14' wide, 18' diameter, 4 sets cast-iron spokes. Ruston & Hornsby Diesel Engine, 1937. Associated gearing, some line shafting, diesel engines and generator also of interest.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly listed as 'Keathbank Mill, Wetsfield of Rattray'. Earlier water-powered mill converted and extended for Matthew Low, spinner, to run off single cylinder horizontal steam engine. Of special interest as a combined steam- and water-powered mill containing original power plant. During the 19th century, there were 12 mills along the River Ericht, with flax spinning overtaken by jute from the 1850s. The declining textile industry meant gradual closure of all but Keathbank which finally closed in 1979. At the time of resurvey (2002) the mill is once again for sale. 'A' group with Item 4 Blairgowrie Parish, Oakbank Mill.

References

Bibliography

J Hume INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND (1977), p257. A J Warden THE LINEN TRADE ANCIENT AND MODERN (1864), pp550, 654. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1843), p921. J Duncan PERTH & KINROSS THE BIG COUNTY (1997). N Haynes BLAIRGOWRIE (2000), p172.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RATTRAY (NEW), BALMORAL ROAD, KEATHBANK MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 18:02