There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 14/05/1971
- Local Authority: East Dunbartonshire
- Planning Authority: East Dunbartonshire
- Burgh: Bearsden
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 56187 70749
- Coordinates: 256187, 670749
Largely 1805 (see Notes). 2-storey and raised basement, 9-bay, L-plan Classical mansion (now golf club house) with advanced central pedimented section and 2-storey, 6-bay wing to E. Ashlar; rubble to rear. Base course, band course above basement, cill courses, eaves course, dentilled cornice. Raised margins. Windows at ground with floating cornices; pedimented to outer bays. Later 2-storey stone extension to re-entrant angle to rear (N).
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Central flight of steps oversailing basement leads to Ionic tetrastyle portico; 2-leaf panelled exterior entrance doors with fanlight above and sidelights: part-glazed 2-leaf interior entrance doors. Dentilled pediment.
INTERIOR: (seen, 2013). Public rooms with decorative cornicing. Dog-leg stair with decorative metal balusters and timber handrail. Architraved, panelled timber doors; some decorative fire surrounds. Upper floor to S converted to open-plan locker area.
Predominantly non-timber replacement plate glass sash and case windows. Piended roof; grey slates. Wallhead stacks.
Statement of Special Interest
This is a good example of a predominantly early 19th century Classical mansion house, which retains much of its exterior form and with some good interior detailing. The house has refined classical detailing and sits in a prominent position overlooking its golf course. The house has been modified internally to accommodate the golf club but the original public rooms remain largely extant.
The Colquhoun family bought Killermont Estate in 1746. It is not clear what the house looked like at this time, but McGhee suggests that it was U-plan in form with the main elevation looking north. When Archibald Campbell-Colquoun inherited the property in 1804, he added the current classical main section to the south. This now forms the majority of the building, although it is possible that some earlier fabric remains. Major work was carried out to the property in the 1930s, when the earlier west wing was demolished, the former attic dormers in the main section removed and the roof replaced. The wing to the east was also reconstructed.
Glasgow Golf Club was founded in 1787 and the initial 22 players played on Glasgow Green. The club moved at various times over the 19th century and by the beginning of the 20th century, the members were looking for a permanent home. After negotiations, they took out a lease on the 100-acre parkland estate and mansion house of Killermont in Bearsden. The course was designed by Old Tom Morris and was opened in 1904. In 1922 the club secured the house and ground permanently and the course was modernised by James Braid.
Tom Morris (1821-1908) was born in St Andrews and was world famous as a championship golfer, golf club manufacturer, course designer and pioneer for the game. James Braid (1870-1950) was born in Fife. Five times Open Championship winner, he was a renowned course architect, designing over 300 courses.
Scotland is intrinsically linked with the sport of golf and it was the birthplace of the modern game.
List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).
Thomas Richardson, Map of the Town of Glasgow, (1795). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1864). New Statistical Account, (1834-45) Vol 8 p49. J. Irving, Book of Dunbartonshire,(1879) Vol. ii, page 386. Groome's Gazetteer, (1882) Vol. IV, p 365. Nevin McGhee, Killermont, The Home of Glasgow Golf Club, (2003). Other information courtesy of members (2013).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.