Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

HIGH SHORE, OLD ST MARY'S BURIAL GROUND AND RAILINGSLB22003

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
22/02/1972
Date Removed:
20/10/2016
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Banff
NGR
NJ 69048 64056
Coordinates
369048, 864056

Removal Reason

Dual designation

Description

Medieval site enclosed by low rubble wall with railings and containing late 16th century Banff aisle, burial enclosures and tombstones.

BANFF AISLE: 1580. Low canted aisle with geometric traceried window and stone slab roof. Contains memorial tablet dated 1580 recording erection of aisle. Also table tomb with recumbent figure of Sir Walter Olgilvy of Dunlugas (and Banff), died 1558.

BURIAL GROUND: tightly packed burial ground; fine collection of burial enclosures, memorials and tombstones from late 16th century onwards to mid 19th century.

Entrance from High Shore, enclosing walls and railings: 1864. Round-headed archway within high rubble wall enclosing angle of

burial ground facing High Shore and Carmelite Street. Masonry contains re-set armorials and datestones. Pair cast-iron spearhead gates. Low coped wall with cast-iron spearhead railings; single pedestrian gate to footpath at N side of burial ground.

Statement of Special Interest

Site of Mary's Church, demolished 1797. Burial ground closed for general use in 1862 when new cemetery established at Sandyhill.

Site bounded by High Shore, Carmelite Street, Church Street and footpath at N. B Group with Nos 1-5 High Shore. Cast-iron gates and railings probably inside in Banff Foundry, now closed. Scheduled 11 April 1997.

Scheduled Ancient Monument No 6645.

References

Bibliography

James Imlach, HISTORY OF BANFF (1868), pp 83-143. A E Mahood, BANFF AND DISTRICT (1919), pp 74-81. Banff Preservation Society, ROYAL AND

ANCIENT BANFF (1975).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to HIGH SHORE, OLD ST MARY'S BURIAL GROUND AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 22:23