Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DUFF HOUSE MAUSOLEUMLB21988

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - see Notes
Date Added
22/02/1972
Supplementary Information Updated
19/10/2017
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Banff
NGR
NJ 68043 62826
Coordinates
368043, 862826

Description

1790, rectangular Gothick mausoleum and re-sited late 17th century tomb.

MAUSOLEUM: Single storey over burial vault, rectangular mausoleum; long 3-bay elevatons N and S, 2-bay return gables. Sneck harled rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings and margins. All bays and corners defined by engaged cluster columns; pointed-headed doorway approached by short flight of steps in centre of N elevation. Fine cast and wrought-iron gate incorporating complex designs of foliage, anthemion, rosettes, Earl's coronet and monogram JF. Entrance flanked by windows; further 3 windows in long S elevation and 2 in each return gable, all unglazed windows screened with heavy moulded ashlar astragals, each rectangular void infilled with cusped fillet, upper lights with intersecting tracery.

Deep quatrefoil detailed Coade stone frieze below eaves; 2 wallhead Coade stone crocketted pinnacles survive (out of 10). Piended slate roof.

INTERIOR: simple, elegant plaster walled interior, each window framed with moulded ashlar jambs with blocked imposts and depressed ogee lintels. Similar jambs define sites of marble mural memorials.

TOMB: Resited against centre of S elevation round-headed mural tomb with recumbent figure. Table tomb decorated with panels, left to right: crossbones interspersed with ears of corn, signs of mortality and re-birth, text, memento mori, saltire. Text of 1790 placed over that of late 17th century latin text, see NOTES.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Duff House, Fife Gates, Walled Garden, Collie Lodge, Mausoleum, Ice House, Bridge Gates House and the Eagles Gate Lodge. Mausoleum constructed in l790 by James, 2nd Earl of Fife, whose monogram is incorporated in the fine iron gates closing the mausoleum. These gates probably made in the Banff Foundry (James Fraser, founder). The re-sited tomb was supposed to be that of Robert the Bruce and was taken to give spurious antiquity to the recently established (1759) Earldom of Fife. It was however, taken from Banff burial ground (old St Mary s) along with 2 others from Cullen. The latter have been returned to Cullen Kirk, the former is the tomb of a 17th century Provost Douglas of Banff. The original latin inscription (covered by that of 1790 until it slipped in 1997) can be translated as: Beneath this mausoleum, in the hope of the blessed Resurrection, lies the body of Mr Alexander Duff of the Dunes, doctor of medicine, provost of Banff and sheriff of Banffshire, who yielded to the Fates on 9 October, 1663, to whose memory his dearest daughters, Isobel and Christiana, and also Walter Lesley of Tullich, husband of said Christiana, have assumed responsibility for offering a solemn filial sacrifice by setting up this very sarcophagos. 1790 inscription above tomb reads: This mausoleum is erected on the place where stood a chapel dedicated to the Blessed Virgin by King Robert the Bruce MCCCXXIV. The adjacent grounds were also.. (?gifted).. by his Royal Charter for the building and support of a monastery of the holy brethren of Mount Carmel . It is not known who designed this most unusual late l8th century essay in the Gothick style. Mausoleum formerly listed in Banff Parish.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (vol xx, Witherington and Grant ed vol xvi, 1982), pp 36-7. Ian A G Shepherd, EXPLORING SCOTLAND'S HERITAGE,

GRAMPIAN (1986), p 54. INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES Vol 3, pp209-214. Alison Kelly MRS COADE'S STONE (1990), pp 113, 429.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUFF HOUSE MAUSOLEUM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 12:40