Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

11 BOYNDIE STREET, BANFF TOWN AND COUNTRY CLUB AND ENCLOSING WALLSLB21885

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/02/1972
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Burgh
Banff
NGR
NJ 68832 64023
Coordinates
368832, 864023

Description

Mid to later l8th century, probably of slightly different builds. 2

and 3-storey, U-plan town house of considerable quality. S elevation to Boyndie Street but main entrance front reached from Kingswell Lane.

Boyndie Street elevation: 3-storey and attic, wide 4-bay S facing street frontage with doorway squeezed between bays 3 and 4. Harled, painted ashar margins. Simple corniced and moulded doorpiece; 6-panelled door. Smaller and slightly different in size ground floor windows; regular lst and 2nd floor fenestration with longer windows in lst floor and small square windows in 2nd, the outer windows close to wallhead,the inner two within centre timpan gable with small centre attic light and apex stack.

MAIN ENTRANCE FRONT: probably 1772. Harled, ashlar margins and dressings. 3-bay main front (facing W) with slightly advanced polished ashlar centre with centre door and rising as large Venetian window in lst floor below pulvinated string course and shallow pediment breaking wallhead. Long lst floor windows in outer bays.

Remainder of U-plan front of irregular plan; advanced wing at right (S) with circa 1970 harled forestair to later lst floor entrance (rear of Boyndie Street). Ranges of slightly differing heights extend and return at N. All harled with ashlar margins. Multi-pane glazing throughout in timber sash and case windows. Slate roofs; corniced end stacks, one of substantial size serving former kitchen hearth; crowstepped gable survives at E, remaining gables with flat skews and moulded run-off skewputts.

INTERIOR: main entrance/stair hall from principal W (probably 1772, Kingswell Lane entry) linked by arched lobby to entrance hall reached from Boyndie Street doorway. Fine plaster ceilings with moulded cornices and centre decorative detailing; ornate moulded and decorated small cast-iron basket grate in Boyndie Street hall with plain black painted ashlar hearth. Flanking panelled doors; stone flag floors.

Wide stone cantilevered staircase rises to lst floor landing; plain

moulded risers with cluster finial and mahogany 'stick' balusters

and polished handrail. Mezzanine landing lit by long window.

DRAWING ROOM: probably 1772, high ceilinged room lit at west by Venetian window framed by fluted pilasters with Corinthian capitals. Similar detailing to swagged corniced doorpiece with moulded door frame and raised and fielded 6-panelled door.

Corniced and swagged chimneypiece with carved thistle (R) and rose (L). Fine pale striated grey and white marble slip frame modern brick lined hearth. 18th century raised and fielded panelled doors and window

shutters.

TV ROOM: former kitchen with wide segmental-headed hearth with ingleneuk.

ENCLOSING WALLS: high rubble walls enclose grounds.

Statement of Special Interest

Home of George Robinson, circa 1743-1827, and his wife Bathia Garden

(c 1744-1825). The Robinson family also had businesses in Nottingham. His father George Robertson came to Nottingham from Inverbervie in 1737: 'a strong prejudice prevailing against the people of Scotland, he adopted the English name of Robinson, which his family have continued to use'. His son William partnered Alexander Hay's linen manufactory in Banff before 1745 but on his murder by officers of the 43rd regiment in 1771, brother George was sent to take over the Banff branch of the business which expanded to include stocking knitting, farming, salmon fishing and trading. Together with his son, George Garden Robinson, they served almost continuously as Provosts of Banff, 1790-1831.

George Robinson bought the property in l772. There was certainly one house, perhaps more on site but the present remodelling of the Kingswell Lane entrance front, the main entrance hall, staircase and lst floor drawing room can be ascribed to the early l770s.

The English rose and Scottish thistle, carved on the chimneypiece

in the lst floor drawingroom, represent George Robinson from

Nottinghan, England and Bathia his wife, daughter of a Banff

merchant.

11 Boyndie Street now serves as Banff Town and County Club.

References

Bibliography

James Imlach, HISTORY OF BANFF (l868), pp 77-9, 87. A E Mahood, BANFF AND DISTRICT (1919), pp.42-3. Banff Preservation Society, ROYAL AND

ANCIENT BURGH (1975) R T Carter, BANFF TOWN AND COUNTY CLUB (1981), p.31. Nan Greatrex "The Robinson Enterprises in Papplewick, Nottinghamshire" in INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY REVIEW Vol IX No 1 (1986) pp37.56.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 11 BOYNDIE STREET, BANFF TOWN AND COUNTRY CLUB AND ENCLOSING WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/05/2019 11:08