Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Removed


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Date Removed:
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 68476 96718
368476, 796718

Removal Reason

Building has been demolished.


1900-01 by George Coutts of Aberdeen. Modelled on the Bavarian Sanatorium at Nordrach. Central tower and base of walls masonry, remainder vertical timber cladding, slate roofs. Long gabled range of

3 storeys with central granite-built, 5-storey tower. Entrance to S at foot of tower, bipartite windows to each floor above, balcony over 3rd; tall saddle-back roof. Long ward range to W with 2 pavilions at W, is a later addition (the original balconies to W have been removed); to E similar range with office and treatment rooms at ground, wards above. Large casement windows now with some variety of details and some modern and PVC replacements. Dining room (with coved ceiling) and recreation block extending from E downhill to the S, both single storey, partly gabled; the recreation block with large glazed, opening screen to S and 2 canted windows to W. N elevation with original service extensions and some modern additions. At E kitchen extension extensively rebuilt. INTERIOR: Corridor-plan, corridor running along N towards opening to S to E of entrance foyer, large, panelled reception room with some stained glass decoration in windows. Main stair in tower.

Statement of Special Interest

This was the first sanatorium to be built in Scotland. Originally called Nordrach on Dee. The Nordrach system for treating TB was pioneered by Dr Otto Walther whose first establishment opened in 1888.

Nordrach on Dee was founded by Dr David Lawson. The nurses' home demolished 1988.

Up-graded Category B to A 18 May 1998.



Information from Hospital Study project and Grampian Health Board archives. Some plans NMRs.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BANCHORY GLEN O'DEE HOSPITAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 23:06