Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SMITH STREET, AYR STATION AND STATION HOTEL INCLUDING CANOPIES, FOOTBRIDGE, LAMP STANDARDS, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLLB21808

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
10/01/1980
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Ayr
NGR
NS 34055 21387
Coordinates
234055, 621387

Description

Andrew Galloway, dated 1885. 3-storey and attic French Renaissance hotel forming part of Ayr Station, with 4-storey and attic corner pavilion and lower single storey, single storey and attic and 2-storey sections to station. Coursed red sandstone. Bull-faced battered base course; channelled rustication to ground floor of principal elevation; architraved openings with projecting cills; dividing band courses; deeply moulded eaves cornice; pilastered sandstone rectangular dormers to attic, with deep entablatures, scrolls flanking; decorative iron brattishing to pavilion roofs.

STATION HOTEL

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: E Block: 11-bay; main entrance to penultimate bay to left; advanced, pilastered entrance porch; round-arched keystoned doorpiece; pilasters flank sidelights; balustraded parapet over, with dies; further entrances to re-entrant angles; tripartite stair windows to upper floors; pilastered 3-light window at attic; segmental pediment over; additional flat-roofed dormer to rear. Canted doorway to ground floor of centre bay, 2-leaf door with fanlight, flanked by 2 narrow windows; consoles support balcony to pilastered 3-light bowed window at 1st floor centre 2-leaf French window with fanlight and sidelights; bipartite window at 2nd floor; decorative segmental-pedimented roundel at attic, dated 1885. Timber door at ground floor of 3rd bay from right. Advanced modern addition obscuring 2 bays to outer right; bipartite attic windows with pedimented central heads to pavilion roof above. Regularly spaced single and bipartite windows ground, 1st and 2nd floors of remaining bays; regular fenestration to attic.

W Block: 10-bay with 3-bay canted corner pavilion; advanced; 2-bay right return adjoining East block (see above), regular fenestration. Squat pilasters to centre at ground floor of corner pavilion to right, supporting pilastered bipartite windows to each storey above, dies to parapet corner angles at attic; infilled doorway flanked by window to ground floor of bay to right, bipartite windows to remaining bays at all storeys, attic windows round-arched with pediment, clock faces to steep pavilion roof; alternating straight and segmental pediments at apex. 10-bay block: entrance at ground floor to outer right; tripartite window to ground floor of advanced pavilion bay to left; single and bipartite windows to remaining bays at ground, 1st and 2nd floors; regularly placed dormers to attic, with exception of bipartite attic window with segmental pediment to pavilion bay to left. Irregular fenestration to 2-storey block adjoining to left; and advanced bay to outer left. 3 recessed bays to far left with variety of timber doorways.

SE (PLATFORM) ELEVATION: E Block: 10-bay; infilled door and window openings to ground floor; platform canopy over 1st World War Memorial Plaque to outer right; round-arched openings to centre 6-bays at 1st floor, bipartite windows to 2 flanking bays to left and right; single and bipartite windows to 2nd floor; regularly placed dormers to centre 6 bays to attic floor; bipartite dormers in pavilion roofs to outer left and right. 4-bay right return with regular fenestration, adjoins W Block (see below).

W Block: 10-bay; variety of window and door openings to ground floor; canopy adjoining to bays to left; single and bipartite windows to 1st and 2nd floors; regularly spaced dormers to attic; bipartite dormer set in pavilion roof to right of attic. 2-storey block adjoining to right with irregular openings, scrolled wallhead stack to centre. Single storey blocks adjoining to outer right.

NE ELEVATION: variety of gables.

SW ELEVATION: symmetrical; blind pedimented openings to centre; segmental-arched gable broken by wallhead stack.

INTERIOR: good detailing includes coffered ceilings with coved cornices, pilaster strips to walling; panelled arches; timber dado panelling and composite marble fireplace; ornate lift shaft; carved stair newels; decorative strings; timber handrail.

STATION, FOOTBRIDGE AND CANOPIES

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 15-bay, with recessed section to outer right. Near central double-pilastered, pedimented entrance; 2-leaf timber door; fanlight; single and bipartite openings to flanking bays to left and right. Arch to recessed canopied section to outer right.

NW (PLATFORM) ELEVATION: 24-bay; canopy extends to adjoin hotel to N (see above). Arched entrances to outer bays; square headed open entrance to centre; irregular openings to remaining bays. X-girder footbridge to N crossing platform; decorative cast-iron columns with curved decoratively pierced brackets to platform canopies.

SW AND NE ELEVATIONS: not seen 1999.

INTERIOR: modern booking office.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Slate roofs with led ridges, including pavilion roof platforms; stone skews; gablet skewputts; corniced ridge stacks; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

LAMP STANDARDS, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: 2 pairs of iron gatepiers to main entrance; central pair with lamp standards atop delineate vehicular entrance; coped boundary wall enclosing site; railings atop to sections of walling.

Statement of Special Interest

Built by the Glasgow and South-Western Railway Company at a cost of ?50,000, described by Groome as, "... a new and commodious station ... its platform covering an area of 3000 square feet, and in connection with it a large and handsome hotel." The work was superintended by Mr Robert Wilson, assistant engineer. Notable for the good interior detailing to the hotel and the impressive ironwork to the station canopies.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (earlier Townhead Station evident), Ordnance Survey map, 1896 (evident); AYR ADVERTISER (3/6/1886); FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1 (1892), p98; JR Hume THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, VOL 1: THE LOWLANDS AND BORDERS (1976), p46; John Strawhorn THE HISTORY OF AYR (1989), p176; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p19; R&J Kennedy OLD AYR (1992), p5; Dane Love PICTORIAL HISTORY OF AYR (1995), pp11, 12, 22; NMRS Photographic Archive (A39957/A39958).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SMITH STREET, AYR STATION AND STATION HOTEL INCLUDING CANOPIES, FOOTBRIDGE, LAMP STANDARDS, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 23:46