There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 10/01/1980
- Local Authority: South Ayrshire
- Planning Authority: South Ayrshire
- Burgh: Ayr
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 33256 21193
- Coordinates: 233256, 621193
James A Morris, dated 1893. 2-storey and attic, near T-plan detached house with Art Nouveau details. Stugged red sandstone and harl. 1st floor string course; timber eaves.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entrance to advanced Dutch-gabled bay; buttress to left; keystone and mutuled frieze to square-headed, corniced doorpiece; recessed timber door; keystoned relieving arch above; shallow recess below; bipartite square opening to right; date and name stone above; narrow single window aligned above at 1st floor; slim shaft rising centrally through Dutch gable; slim shafts rise from canted corner angles; finials atop; single window at ground floor; 2 single windows at 1st floor to re-entrant angle to left; single windows to right at ground and 1st floor to re-entrant angle to right. 3 stained windows at ground floor to recessed bays to left; 2 single windows at 1st floor; single window to flat-roofed dormer at attic. 3 single windows at ground floor; 2 single windows at 1st floor to recessed bays to right; leaded inner narrow stair window, narrow windows flanking breaking string course and at attic; single window to flat-roofed dormer at attic. Glazed timber entrance to lean-to to outer right.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: single windows at ground floor to off-centre harled canted bay; bipartite windows at 1st floor corbelled bay; corniced plaque to deep parapet above; finial to roof; Quadripartite transomed and mullioned window to right at ground floor; bipartite window at 1st floor; quadripartite flat-roofed dormer at attic with segmental pediment above. Quadripartite window at ground floor to left (relieving arch over); single window at 1st floor. Bipartite window to outer left at ground floor; shallow segmental tripartite oriel window at 1st floor. Glazed timber door to lean-to at ground.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: bipartite windows flank tall, banded wallhead stack at attic. Catslide roof to lower section meets boundary wall (see below).
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window to right at ground floor; single windows flank tall wallhead stack at attic.
Variety of glazing patterns including leaded, timber sash and case and casement windows. Slate roof; stone skews; skewputts; rooflights; timber eaves; pitch and gablehead coped, harled stacks; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: variety of predominantly timber fireplaces, including decorative tiled surrounds; timber dado panelling to bathroom; timber box toilet; timber balustraded arched staircase; Kemco range (Glasgow); timber panelled entrance porch; stained and leaded windows.
SUNDIAL, GATEPIERS, GATE AND BOUNDARY WALL: polygonal-plan sundial base, carved shaft, table dial, metal gnomon; channelled square-plan gatepiers with tall pyramidal caps, 2-leaf timber gate; additional pedestrian keystoned entrance, timber gate; coped boundary wall encloses site (castellated in part). Interesting interior walling formed from stones and heads found on Morris' travelling expeditions.
Statement of Special Interest
Built by James A Morris (1857-1942), an Ayr architect, as his personal home, the house was extended in 1914 and remained in the Morris family until 1991. Exterior features of note include the advanced entrance bay with its mutuled doorpiece and the oriel window to the rear of the property. The interior features are executed to a very high standard and include a variety of fireplaces, tiling and an impressive timber staircase. Morris trained as an architect with Lindsay Miller in Glasgow, before setting up in Ayr with JK Hunter. Alongside his architectural work, he campaigned to save the Auld Brig (see separate list description) and was a leading figure in the development of the Scottish Art Workers' Guild.
Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (not evident); Ordnance Survey map, 1896 (evident); Rob Close "Attainable Ideals: James A Morris, 1857-1942" in CHARLES RENNIE MACKINTOSH SOCIETY NEWSLETTER, No 48 (Spring 1988), pp5-6; Michael Davis THE CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991), pp102, 367; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p26; Dane Love PICTORIAL HISTORY OF AYR (1995), p71; Miles Glendinning, Ranald MacInnes and Aonghus MacKechnie A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE, (1996), p585; NMRS Photographic Archive (AY/3792).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.