Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

22 SANDGATE AND 2 AND 4 CATHCART STREETLB21788

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
10/01/1980
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Ayr
NGR
NS 33612 22034
Coordinates
233612, 622034

Description

Circa 1600, with later alterations. 2- and 3-storey with attics, 2-bay, near rectangular-plan town house on corner site. Painted render. Square-headed openings.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: recessed central shop entrance; 2-leaf glazed timber door; flanking shop windows. Regular fenestration to upper floors; attic windows break eaves to form architraved dormers 'S 19 H' inscribed in left dormer, 'B 91 T' to right dormer.

NE (CATHCART STREET) ELEVATION: 10-bay, grouped 2-3-5. 2 openings at all floors of 3-storey and attic, 2-bay section to left (infilled, except at ground to right, and at attic to left). Entrance to outer right of 3-bay section (2-storey and attic); timber door; single window at ground to left; single windows to all floors of bay to outer left. 2 timber doors to 3rd and 4th bays at ground to 5-bay section to right; single window at ground to penultimate bay to left (small infilled openings to right and left of entrances); regular fenestration to bays at 1st floor (alternately infilled); 2 windows at attic break eaves to form dormers.

8-, 12- and 24-pane timber sash and case windows (many openings infilled). Grey slate roof; crowstepped gables; corniced gablehead stacks; circular cans.

INTERIOR: elaborate aumbry to 1st floor flat with shield motif within arch over.

Statement of Special Interest

Upgraded from Category B to A, 28.7.94. Known as Lady Cathcar''s house. Restoration by Simpson and Brown, began in 1991. Built as a town mansion or mercantile premises, with hall and chambers above (Sandgate section) and a detached hall and chamber block (Cathcart Street section) and subsequently joined, major alterations occurred in the earlier 19th century to form premises for the Ayr branch of the City of Glasgow bank. Rob Close writes (p9), "There is a persistent, but unproven, belief that John Loudon McAdam, 1756-1836, pioneer road engineer, was born in this house."

References

Bibliography

John Wood's Plan of Ayr, 1818 (evident); Simpson and Brown Architects LADY CATHCART'S HOUSE, SANDGATE, AYR (1988); Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p9; Dane Love PICTORIAL HISTORY OF AYR (1995), p21; NMRS Photographic Archive (AY/1631).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 22 SANDGATE AND 2 AND 4 CATHCART STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 19:49