There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Group Category Details: B
- see notes
- Date Added: 05/02/1971
- Local Authority: South Ayrshire
- Planning Authority: South Ayrshire
- Burgh: Ayr
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 33804 18987
- Coordinates: 233804, 618987
1754; additions by David Bryce, 1830; stables converted by Cowie Torry & Partners, 1976. 2-storey and basement Palladian mansion; 5-bay corps-de-logis with basement quadrant links to 2-storey pavilions (E wing later extended as stable court). Painted harl. Band course dividing basement and ground floor; eaves course; cornice; raised quoins.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to central paired-pilastered entrance porch; 2-leaf glazed timber door; cornice; blocking course; single windows to returns at ground floor; additional basement window to return to right. Regular fenestration to remaining bays at basement, ground and 1st floors; corniced windows at ground floor. 3-bay quadrant link to right comprising central entrance and flanking windows (all blind). Blind return to left of 2-storey pavilion; central glazed timber door; single window aligned above; flanking single windows at both floor (bipartite to left at basement); single storey garage section to outer right. 4-bay quadrant link to left comprises regular sequence of entrances and windows (blind entrance to penultimate bay to left). Blind return to right of 2-storey stable pavilion; advanced near-central pedimented bay; segmental, key-stoned entrance arch; roundel to pediment; urn finial to pediment head; regular fenestration to 3 bays to right; regular fenestration to 2 bays to left. Single storey section to right comprises narrow slit window; timber door; 2 windows to penultimate bay to left and 2-leaf timber door to outer left. Section to left of main house obscured by foliage.
STABLE COURTYARD: round-arched entrances within entrance arch; 2-leaf glazed timber doors and fanlights. SE ELEVATION: 3 segmental-arched glazed openings; arched entrance to outer right; timber door and fanlight. NE ELEVATION: arched entrance to outer right, square-headed window over; 5 square-headed openings to left. NW ELEVATION: blind elevation (rear quadrant link); square-plan gatepiers and timber gate to left. SW ELEVATION: 2 single windows to gabled bay to right; single window to return to left; square-headed entrance to recessed section; single window to right return of gable to left.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: 4-bay (main house). Advanced pedimented bay to penultimate bay to right; 3 single windows at basement, tripartite window at ground floor, single window at 1st floor; blind return to left; single windows at ground and 1st floor to return to right. Single windows at basement, ground and 1st floor to bay to right (additional single inner window at 1st floor). 2-leaf glazed timber door to penultimate bay to left; single window to left; regular fenestration at ground and 1st floor to both bays. Single windows at basement, ground and 1st floors to gabled return to right; blind 2-storey wing; 3 narrow single windows (infilled) to single storey section to outer left; iron gate and timber entrances to centre; 3 narrow single windows (infilled) to outer right.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended and platformed slate roof; rooflights; stone skews; wallhead and pitch stacks; circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: good interior detailing including fireplaces (iron, timber and composition and marble examples); cornices; decorative moulded iron balusters and timber handrails to staircases
LAMP STANDARDS: 19th century lamp standards flank steps to entrance.
Statement of Special Interest
B-Group with Rozelle Lodge (see separate listing). Named after Rochelle, the family estate in Jamaica, Rozelle was built for Robert Hamilton of Bourtreehill, and as noted by Davis its original form was of 5 bays, with a slightly advanced centre bay to rear. The remodelling of the main block, by David Bryce circa 1831, provided an asymmetrical pedimented addition to the rear and an entrance elevation porch. Bryce's additions are noted by Davis as "... done in a restrained, classical idiom which on does not usually associate with Bryce". The house and estate was gifted to the local authority by Lieutenant Commander John Hamilton RN on the 15th of November 1968 and the stables opened to the public as the Maclaurin Art Gallery in 1976.
Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident); THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1845), p4; FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1 (1892), p44, 101; AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND, VOL 2: DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY AND STRATHCLYDE (1987), pp364-367; John Strawhorn THE HISTORY OF AYR (1989), p115; Michael C Davis THE CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991), pp43, 55, 364-365; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p28; Dane Love PICTORIAL HISTORY OF AYR (1995), pp9, 22, 35; NMRS Photographic Archive.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.