Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

MAIN STREET AND NORTH HARBOUR STREET, FORMER DARLINGTON PLACE CHURCH INCLUDING HALL, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLLB21658

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/03/1988
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Ayr
NGR
NS 33760 22256
Coordinates
233760, 622256

Description

Clarke and Bell, 1860, additions John Arthur 1897. 3-bay, gabled, rectangular-plan church with turreted SE angle tower and hall to rear. Coursed, squared sandstone. Lancet windows.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central advanced gabled entrance porch; shafted and moulded recess to central bay; trumeau divides 2 single timber doors; decorative cusped work above; 1860 to gablehead; flanking lancet panels. 5-light stepped lancet window above; Y-tracery, cuspwork and quatre-foils; small opening to gablehead; cross finial; splayed bases to clasped corner buttresses; truncated pinnacles. Recessed gallery stair window to right; Y-tracery, cuspwork and quatre-foils; cross finial at apex; buttress and truncated pinnacle to outer right. Corbelled angled turret stair tower to outer left; lancet and quatre-foil openings; finial to apex.

SW (NORTH HARBOUR STREET) ELEVATION: 8-bay, grouped 2-5-1. 3-light window to advanced gabled hall to outer left; cusped, architraved infilled trefoil opening to gable; timber door to basement below; single timber door to trefoil-headed entrance to right. Cusped bipartite windows at ground to central 3 bays of 5-bay section; Y-tracery and cusping to gallery windows aligned above, breaking roofline to form gablets; hood-moulded squat tripartite windows at ground to outer bays; tall traceried gallery windows aligned above; small oval openings to gableheads; truncated pinnacles flanking; finials to gableheads (rising from buttress to outer right). Tower to outer right (see above).

Leaded windows. Grey slate roof (banded fish-scale work to tower); stone skews.

INTERIOR: converted to theatre, 1986. Curved, gilded staircases to entrance porch; leaded glazed timber doors. Coved ceiling; roll-moulded arcading; decorative gilded column capitals. Library fittings from Nitshill Lending Library.

GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: square-plan gatepiers to entrance; 2-leaf iron gate to SE elevation, single iron gate to SW elevation; railings surmount low coped boundary wall enclosing site.

Statement of Special Interest

No longer in ecclesiastical use (United Presbyterian), now the Borderline Theatre. Occupies a prominent siting at the N section of the New Bridge (see separate list description). Architects also designed Ayr Academy in Fort Street (see separate list description). Hall formerly used as classroom and session house.

References

Bibliography

Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (earlier structure evident, marked as Railway Tavern), Ordnance Survey map, 1896 (evident); AYR ADVERTISER (30.8.1860); Dean of Guild, Box 7, Plan 19, 1897 (information courtesy of Robert Close); FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol 1 (1882), p99; William Dodd "Ayr: A Study of Urban Growth" in AYRSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY COLLECTIONS, Vol 10 (1972), p348; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p29; Dane Love PICTORIAL HISTORY OF AYR (1995), pp15, 59, 109; M Glendinning, R MacInnes and A MacKechnie A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1996), p561; NMRS Photographic Archive (AY/2419).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAIN STREET AND NORTH HARBOUR STREET, FORMER DARLINGTON PLACE CHURCH INCLUDING HALL, GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/07/2022 13:50