Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

GEORGE STREET, AYR (MARTYRS) FREE CHURCH AND HALL INCLUDING GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALLLB21589

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/01/1980
Supplementary Information Updated
19/03/1999
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Ayr
NGR
NS 33965 22167
Coordinates
233965, 622167

Description

Dated 1832, with later additions. 2-storey, 3-bay near square-plan pedimented classical Free Church with church hall to rear. Rubble (painted to entrance elevation). Painted strip quoins. Architraved openings to entrance elevation, corniced at ground floor.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: pilastered and pedimented double doorpiece; pair of 2-leaf timber doors; single window aligned above at 1st floor; dated square panel to pediment reads 'AD 1832'; single windows flanking to outer bays at ground and 1st floor.

E (JOHN STREET) ELEVATION: 2 single windows at ground and 1st floor.

Blinded openings to entrance elevation; plate glass timber sash and case windows to side elevations; round-arched sash and case windows with gothick glazing, flank pulpit to S elevation. Grey slate roof; stone skews.

INTERIOR: timber boarded ceiling; timber pews, gallery, furniture and pulpit; central, domed finialled tester; flanking arched windows.

HALL: later asymmetrical-plan church hall to S of church.

GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: central square-plan gatepiers to central entrance; single gatepier to outer right; pair of gatepiers to outer left; iron gates; modern railings surmount coped boundary wall. Additional piend-roof section to SE.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Constructed in 1832 as the first permanent Reformed Presbyterian Church (or Covenanting church) in Ayr.

References

Bibliography

John Wood's Plan of Ayr, 1818 (not evident), Ayr and Suburbs Parliamentary Boundary map, circa 1832 (evident), Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (hall evident); Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p32; Dr G Keith THE FREE CHURCHES IN AYR 1843-1993 (1994); Dane Love PICTORIAL HISTORY OF AYR (1995), pp15, 56; NMRS Photographic Archive (A1504).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GEORGE STREET, AYR (MARTYRS) FREE CHURCH AND HALL INCLUDING GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/07/2022 12:33