Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

7 VICTORIA TERRACE, OLD SCHOOL (FORMER DRILL HALL)LB20874

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
22/02/1972
Supplementary Information Updated
21/01/2016
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Burgh
Aberlour
NGR
NJ 26535 42964
Coordinates
326535, 842964

Description

Thomas Mackenzie, 1850. T-plan single storey Italianate former school. Harled

rubble with tooled ashlar margins, rubble E elevation.

7-bay N elevation, entrance E and S, at S masked by gabled

porch. Squared-headed fenestration except in gables where

tripartites have block imposts and single small oculus

above. Round-headed bellcote at S gable under diminutive

deep-eaved slate roof. Coped wallhead stacks; slate roofs

with deep eaves.

Statement of Special Interest

Prominently situated opposite the parish church. This building was originally built as a school, and is shown on the 1874 OS map in use as such. By 1905 a new school had been erected, and this building was used as a drill hall. It was designed by Thomas Mackenzie (1841-54) of Mackenzie and Matthews in 1850, but was built sometime after Mackenzie's death (it does not appear on the 1855 Plan of the Burgh of Barony of Charleston of Aberlour). Despite his short life, Mackenzie was a prolific architect. Born in Perthshire, ne moved to Aberdeen in 1835 and trained with both John Smith and Archibald Simpson. In 1839 he moved to Elgin, taking over William Robertson's practice in 1841, where he was joined by James Matthews in 1844. Mackenzie was a competent handler of building styles, and among more famous buildings are the neo-Tudor Milne's High School at Fochabers (1845-6) and the Italianate Elgin Museum (1842). The Bell from the bellcote hangs in the present Aberlour primary school.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 192665.

Appears on 1874 and 1905 OS maps. ABERDEEN JOURNAL, 20 Nov 1850. Advertisement for tenders.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7 VICTORIA TERRACE, OLD SCHOOL (FORMER DRILL HALL)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 03:27