Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

ST MARGARET'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUNDLB20872

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/10/1976
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Burgh
Aberlour
NGR
NJ 27188 43137
Coordinates
327188, 843137

Description

Alexander Ross, 1875-79. Gothic. Tall cruciform church

orientated E-W, with clerestory and narrow buttressed side

aisles. Pink tooled granite, contrasting tooled ashlar

ashlar dressings. Slightly lower chancel with transepts

at E; gabled porch at SW with pointed-headed entrance flanked

by polished granite nook shafts with stiff leaf capitals,

niche with statue of St Margaret above. Slender octagonal

belltower rises at angle of W gable with porch, bell chamber

lit by narrow louvred lancets and facetted spire with 4

triangular louvred lucarnes.

5-bay aisles lit by narrow paired cusped lights and nave

clerestory with similar triple windows. E gable of chancel

with long triple windows under stepped continuous hoodmould;

geometric tracery in W gable window. Angle buttresses;

steeply pitched slate roofs.

INTERIOR: lofty aisled interior with braced timber roof.

Aisle arcade supported by squat red Peterhead polished

granite columns rising from contrasting ashlar bases with

richly carved capitals depicting flowers, foliage and fruit.

Chancel approached by flight of steps; gilded wrought-iron

screen; richly decorated white marble altar and reredos;

stained glass chancel windows. Arcaded sedilia in chancel.

Stained glass in aisle windows by Baguley, Newcastle

1887-1909. Caen stone font with marble enrichment and

carved oak cover (cover from Christ Church, Lancaster Gate,

London, demolished 1977). Circular stone pulpit (1936,

Davidson of Inverness). Decorative encaustic tiles to floors

(Minton); various mural memorials.

BURIAL GROUND: partially walled burial ground surrounds church

with simple entrance flanked by tooled rubble gate piers.

3 grey granite foundation stones from Aberlour Orphanage

(demolished) set by entrance; war memorial to boys from

Aberlour Orphanage.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Church built and partially financed by Miss Margaret

MacPherson Grant of Aberlour House who died before its

completion which was funded by William Grant of Elchies.

Upgraded B to A 9.11.87

References

Bibliography

Groome's ORDNANCE OF SCOTLAND i (1882), p.27. Donald

Finlay, SAINT MARGARET, ABERLOUR, BANFFSHIRE; A SHORT HISTORY

AND DESCRIPTION (1979).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST MARGARET'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 22:41