Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

QUEEN'S ROAD, FLEMING HALL AND COTTAGE ABUTTING REAR GABLELB20871

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
09/11/1987
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Burgh
Aberlour
NGR
NJ 26702 42816
Coordinates
326702, 842816

Description

A and W Reid, Elgin, dated 1889. Scottish Renaissance,

rectangular crowstepped gabled hall with tower at NW.

Tooled rubble, tooled and polished ashlar dressings. Centre

entrance in recessed segmental porch with flanked narrow

lights and large 4-light window above centre under shallow

decorative head. Slightly set back single storey, single

bay wing at right (SW) and at left (NE also slightly set back)

3-stage square tower with narrow 1st floor corniced windows,

small 2nd floor oculi, corbelled and crenellated upper stage

with plain gargoyles surmounted by square leaded belfry with

3-light louvred round-headed openings in each face and shaped

leaded ogee roof in 17th century manner with weathervane.

2-bay N elevation and 3-bay S, with long windows breaking

wallhead under ball finialled gablets. Multi-pane glazing;

string courses; crowstepped gables; slate roof.

Single storey and attic 3-bay cottage abuts E rear gable;

corniced end stacks; crowsteps; slate roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Plaque over door records hall gifted to Aberlour by James

Fleming, Banker 1896. Built at cost of over $2,000.

References

Bibliography

MORAY AND NAIRN EXPRESS, 2 Feb, 1889. p.5. Report of opening.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to QUEEN'S ROAD, FLEMING HALL AND COTTAGE ABUTTING REAR GABLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 03:17