Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 26566 42975
326566, 842975


Various builds and architects from 1838-40 on site of and probably including fragments of 1812 nave destroyed by

fire 1861. Neo-Norman 5-bay rectangular church with tower at W with entrance porch, apse at E. Mixed pinned granite with extensive use of contrasting tooled sandstone dressings.

Tower: dated 1840, William Robertson, Elgin, with later upper crenellated clock stage. Round-headed entrance in

centre, similar detailed round-headed upper windows. Raised addition with dummy angle bartizans, paired round-headed louvred vents and clockface in each elevation.

NAVE: George Petrie, 1861. 5-bay N and S elevations with bays 1,3,5, as shallow recesses, delineated by long-short dressed pilasters and decorative corbelling. Round-headed windows; nook shafts, chevron mouldings and hoodmoulds decorate fenestration in bays 2 and 4.

APSE AND VESTRY: 1833-5, J and W Wittet in consultation with Sir David Y Cameron, RA. Apse with 3 round-headed windows at E gable; vestry projects at NE, both additions in neo-Norman style. End stack at E; slate roof.

INTERIOR: remodelled 1933-5, also J & W Wittet with Sir David Y Cameron. Round-headed arch to apse flanked by similar arches (blind at right, housing organ loft) with attenuated nook shafts with cushion capitals to chancel;

similar blind arcading detailing to W gallery front (re-used from 1861 gallery) and to facetted pulpit and communion

table (both 1933). 1933 pews flank centre aisle. Stained glass in apse windows (centre by Gordon Webster);

lattice-pane to nave; multi-pane glazing to tower fenestration.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Nave of 1812 church destroyed by fire 1861. Renovations in 1933-5 due to dry rot. Sir Edmund Findlay of Aberlour

House gifted $1,000 towards cost of remodelling in memory of his father, Sir John, to whom 2 of the apse windows are dedicated; the 3rd window dedicated to Dr T A Sellar of Aberlour.

Plaque in tower lobby inscribed 'This Tower erected and the body of present church lengthened at the voluntary

expense of Alex. Grant of Aberlour. Robertson Archt. AD 1840.'

This plaque appears to be replacement of earlier plaque destroyed in 1861 fire.

Upgraded C(S) to B 9.11.87




3 May, 1861 and 5 and 18 July, 1861. Report of plans,

foundation stone and description. ELGIN COURANT AND COURIER,

16 June, 1933 and 19 April, 1935. Reports of renovations

and re-opening. Angus J Howat and Mike Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY

(1981), p.1. Elizabeth Beaton, WILLIAM ROBERTSON 1786-1841,

'ARCHITECT IN ELGIN' (1984), pp.21,27.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ABERLOUR PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/10/2023 11:13