Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 92124 5739
392124, 805739


Matthews and Mackenzie, 1880; later additions and alterations. 2-storey, basement and attic, 3-bay villa. Tooled coursed grey granite with contrasting light grey dressings, finely finished to margins at SE elevation; remainder Aberdeen bond granite rubble. Rough-faced basement; base course; dividing band course; segmental-arched openings to 1st floor of SE elevation; chamfered reveals to SE elevation; eaves course; decorative iron finials to apex of gables.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; broad segmental-arched doorway with elaborately moulded lintel to centre bay of ground floor, reached by stone steps flanked by iron railings; panelled timber door flanked by glazed panels, fanlight above; gableted window breaking eaves to 1st floor above, skylight to attic floor. Gabled bays flanking to left and right; curved walls to ground floor corbelled out to form angle at 1st floor; canted windows through basement and ground floors, with centre light only at basement floor, enclosed by railings, part piended slate roofs surmounted by iron brattishing; bipartite windows to 1st floor above. Single storey, single bay wings adjoining to outer left and right, gableted with segmental-arched doorways to centre.

NE ELEVATION: gabled; flat-roofed addition to ground floor, with single window above; infilled bipartite window to 1st floor.

NW ELEVATION: predominantly irregular fenestration; fine stained-glass window off-centre to left of 1st floor, flanked to left and right by piend-roofed windows breaking eaves; modern broad box dormer incorporating 2 windows to attic floor.

SW ELEVATION: gabled; addition to ground floor, single window to 1st floor above.

Predominantly 2-pane and 4-pane timber sash and case windows; replacement timber 2-pane windows to ground floor of SE elevation, with top hoppers. Slate roof with metal and felt ridges. Stone skews with gableted and blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks with octagonal cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: some mouldings, panelled timber doors, architraves, skirting boards and cornices survive. Tripartite inner door, with fluted Ionic pilasters and glazed lights flanking; Ionic pilastered round-arched openings to ground and 1st floor halls; dog-leg stair with turned timber balusters; elaborate cornice to room to E of ground floor; panelling to window surrounds, with small colonettes at angles.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan gatepiers with pyramidal caps to SE, low coped rough-faced granite walls surmounted by modern railings in traditional style between. Granite and brick coped rubble walls to remainder.

Statement of Special Interest

From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 18 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as Matthews and Mackenzie (who were particularly prolific in this area of Aberdeen), were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. 18 Queen's Road was designed for J Crombie, an Aberdeen merchant. The villa is well detailed, notably the broad segmental-arched doorway, and 2 gableted doorways to outer left and right. Also of particular interest is the ironwork and pilastered interior. The railings are a modern addition, based on what would have existed originally.



Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR 18 QUEEN'S ROAD, 1 March 1880; Post Office Directory, PLAN OF THE CITY OF ABERDEEN, (1880); 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 18 QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2022 18:37