Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

37 AND 39 QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20725

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - see notes
Date Added
17/06/1992
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 91970 5591
Coordinates
391970, 805591

Description

A Marshall Mackenzie, architect and John Morgan, builder, 1895; later additions and alterations. 2-storey basement and attic, 4-bay pair of semi-detached villas. Rough faced coursed grey granite ashlar, finely finished to margins at NW elevation; coursed granite rubble to remainder. Ground floor cill course; dividing band course; moulded cills to NW elevation.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay comprising mirrored pair of 2-bay villas; 2 broad round-arched doorways to centre bays of ground floor, jambs waisted towards base, moulded impost detail above, voussoirs alternating between rough-faced and finely finished granite, keystone detail, doors deeply recessed, pilastered 2-leaf panelled timber door to No 37, with glazed panels flanking, replacement small-pane glazed timber door and flanking panels to No 39, broad small-pane fanlight to each; 2 windows to 1st floor above. Gabled outer bays, 3-light canted windows to ground floor of each, with parapet enclosing balcony to 1st floor; tripartite windows to 1st floor; attic floor slightly advanced on corbel brackets, tripartite windows centred in gableheads, queenpost details and overhanging eaves, iron sunflower finials to apexes.

SW ELEVATION: gabled; irregular fenestration; doorway to basement floor.

SE ELEVATION: various lean-to additions; near-regular fenestration; doorways to ground floor; 4 rectangular dormers with catslide roofs to attic floor.

NE ELEVATION: gabled.

Predominantly timber sash and case windows with plate glass or 2-pane lower sashes and small-pane upper sashes. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge. Stone skews with blocked skewputts. Coped gablehead stacks and stacks breaking pitch with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: some interior mouldings survive; staircase altered to No 39. Decoratively tiled doorsteps.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: square-plan rough-faced granite gatepiers to NW (shared with adjacent villas), with low coped walls between; granite coped rubble walls dividing gardens to NW; high brick coped rubble walls to S, swept down.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with 41-43, 45-47, 49-51 and 53 Queen's Road (see separate listings). From the beginning of the 19th century Aberdeen rapidly expanded westwards from Union Street. 37 and 39 Queen's Road is part of the later 19th century development W of Queen's Cross. Queen's Road is on the site of Skene Road, which was originally surrounded by the estate of Rubislaw. In 1877 Rubislaw Estate was bought by the City of Aberdeen Land Association, who re-aligned the road and sold off the estate in smaller plots. Streets became wider and villas with substantial gardens often replaced terraces. Prestigious architects, such as A Marshall Mackenzie, were often employed to produce bold and unusual designs to reflect the wealth and individuality of the clients. Mackenzie designed many of the adjacent villas, notably 41-43, 45-47 and 49-51 Queen's Road, which follow the same formula as 37-39 Queen's Road, and 53 Queen's Road, which is a single villa version of the above. This particular group shows the influence of the architecture of Pirie and Clyne (seen best at Hamilton Place, see separate listings), common features include the waisted jambs flanking the doorways, parapet between gables and the iron sunflower finials. John Morgan, the builder, also patronised Pirie and Clyne, and was involved in their buildings at Hamilton Place, so it seems likely that he could have encouraged the use of the aforementioned features.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR 37 AND 39 QUEEN'S ROAD, 17 January 1895; 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 37 AND 39 QUEEN'S ROAD, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2022 19:02