Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

14 AND 16 FOREST ROAD AT RUBISLAW DEN SOUTH, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20700

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/06/1992
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 91993 5751
Coordinates
391993, 805751

Description

Arthur Clyne, architect, John Morgan, builder; 1896. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay double villa. Coursed rough-faced grey granite ashlar, contrasting pale grey tooled and finely finished margins. Base course; ground floor cill course; dividing band course; moulded 1st floor cill course; eaves course; parapet between gables of principal elevation.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 4-bay, comprising 2 2-bay mirrored, semi-detached villas; doorways to 2 centre bays at ground floor, reveals waisted towards base, decorative volute brackets supporting lintels above, pilastered panelled timber doors, flanked by glazed panels, letterbox fanlights, window to each bay of 1st floor above. 3-light canted windows through ground and 1st floors of bays to outer left and right, forming balcony to attic floor; pedimented attic floor flanked by 2 deep scrolls, window centred to each (replacement glazing to 14 Forest Road), scrolled acroteria to pediment, sunflower patera centred in each. Skylights to centre of attic.

NW ELEVATION: gabled; lean-to addition to right of ground floor, panelled door with window above to left return.

SW ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; 4-bay; ground floor not seen 2000; single storey and attic wings adjoining to left and right, with 3-light piend-roofed dormer to each, regular fenestration to 1st floor; 2 canted dormers to centre of attic floor, with skylights above, flanked to outer left and right by broad rectangular dormers with catslide roofs.

SE ELEVATION: gabled; lean-to addition to left, doorway with window above to right return.

2-pane PVCu sash and case windows to 14 Forest Road; timber sash and case windows to 16 Forest Road. Grey slate roof with decorative terracotta ridge. Stone skews. Coped gablehead stacks and stack breaking pitch to rear, with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen 2000.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rough-faced grey granite walls to NE, gates to left and right; single gatepier to outer left, grey granite shaft swept up from plinth, rough-faced neck surmounted by scrolled cap; brick and granite coped rubble walls to remainder.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with 9 and 11 Forest Road. Forest Road is built on the site of Stocket Forest, hence the appropriate name which was chosen by Sir Alexander Anderson, Lord Provost at the time. 14 and 16 Forest Road were built for John Morgan (b. 1841), an Aberdeen builder who specialised in high quality granite cutting and carving. Morgan was a close friend of John Bridgeford Pirie (1851-1892), who until his death was Arthur Clyne's (1853-1924) partner. Morgan was involved in much of the work undertaken by the partnership. 14 and 16 Forest Road are a simplified version of Pirie and Clyne's double villas in Hamilton Place (see separate listings). They follow the same formula: symmetrical double villas of mirrored plan and 2 gables to the attic with parapet between. From the plans it would appear that as in Hamilton Place the houses were designed in outline first, then details were added later. The navel-like paterae appear in the majority of the designs by the partnership. The paterae are probably a development of the sunflower (a favourite motif of the Aesthetic Movement) or daffodil. The elaborate volutes flanking the doors and attic windows are similar to waves. After the death of Pirie, the designs produced by Arthur Clyne become more restrained, hence the use of the familiar double villa formula, but only simple details. 14 and 16 Forest Road are almost identical to 9 and 11 Forest Road, the only difference is the replacement of the rectangular-plan window with a canted one. Also similar in design are 35 and 37 Forest Road and 39 and 41 Forest Road, the architect appears to have been John Cameron for John Morgan.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR FOREST ROAD, 21 April 1896; 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP; G M Fraser, ABERDEEN STREET NAMES: THEIR HISTORY, MEANING AND PERSONAL ASSOCIATIONS, (1911), p156.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14 AND 16 FOREST ROAD AT RUBISLAW DEN SOUTH, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 12:38