Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CASTLE STREET, THE MANNIE OR GREEN FOUNTAINLB20669

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
08/02/1989
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94404 6316
Coordinates
394404, 806316

Description

William Lindsay, circa 1710. Former wellhead (no longer functioning) re-located from East-end of Castle Street, surmounted by small semi-nude male lead figure. Square-plan with ogee cap. Coursed sandstone. Base course, deep cornice. Carved stone Green-man type heads forming spouts at each corner of cap. Small carved lion's head spout and wrought iron lamp bracket to E face. Cast-iron hinged opening to W face.

Statement of Special Interest

Situated originally at the East End of Castle Street, this water cistern was the first to provide piped water to the city. It is an important part of the city's engineering and social history and forms a significant part of the streetscape. The well was originally to have a number of gilt figures but the cost of £1,571 proved too much and a single figure, locally know as 'The Mannie' was erected. On special days, the carved heads at the corners spouted water.

The well was fed by springs from Cardensheugh (now Carden Place) to the West of the city, and the water was brought by six lead pipes to the well. Previous to this, the city had been supplied by water from local lochs, burns and ancient wells.

The cistern was moved to The Green in 1852 where a handle on the side of the plinth could be turned to provide spring or river water. The well remained at The Green until 1974 when it was moved to its current position, back in Castle Street.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1866-8) depicts position at The Green. W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1998 p25. Ranald MacInnes, The Aberdeen Guide, 2000 p133. www.scran.ac.uk

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CASTLE STREET, THE MANNIE OR GREEN FOUNTAIN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 02:10