Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Last Date Amended
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 94130 5978
394130, 805978


Ellis & Wilson, 1894 (No 80 to left) and R G Wilson 1900 (No 78 to right). Hotel comprising 2 internally linked buildings; to right, 4-storey, 2-attic and basement, double gabled Baroque hotel and to left, slightly recessed, 3-storey and basement, 13-bay Classical former Railway Headquarters (see Notes) with distinctive entrance doorway. Tooled and ashlar granite. 1st storey cornice, cill and string courses.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: No 78 (to right): pilastered ground floor with continuous fascia. Off-centre canopied 2-leaf timber and glass swing entrance door with glass and timber sidelights. Shallow canted 7-light oriel windows with central round arched light to 1st and 2nd storey at outer bays. Round-arched openings above. Central decorative panel with small arcaded parapet above to 3rd storey. Swan-necked apex capping to gables with stacks above. Late 20th century extensions to rear (2006).

No 80 (to left): central decorative consoled wallhead panel. Slightly advanced wide-arched Baroque entrance porch with banded pilasters with chamfered panelling flanking central timber and glass 2-leaf swing door and wide plate glass sidelights. Large Diocletian fanlight above. Some decorative detailing, including lion's head at apex and palmettes.

Variety of fenestration. No 78 with predominantly 6-pane over plate glass timber sash and case windows to 1st and 2nd storey, with casement and non-traditional to upper floors. 4-pane and plate glass timber sash and case windows to rear and E with some non-traditional windows. Grey slate mansard roof with 2 levels of attic dormers to No 78. Scroll skew-putts. No 80 with predominantly plate glass sash and case timber windows. Slate roof. Coped ridge stacks with some hexagonal decorative cans.

INTERIOR: Original room plan largely extant and with some good original features to No 80. Central open well staircase with decorative timber balustrade. Original boardroom with fine timber panelling and decorative chimneypieces and overmantels. 4 and 5-panel timber doors. Decorative plaster cornicing. Some doors with carved timber architraves. Original timber panelled entrance hall. Some stained glass to rear stair windows.

Statement of Special Interest

Situated opposite Aberdeen Railway Station, this well-detailed hotel comprises two stylistically different buildings, built by local architects which makes a distinctive addition to the streetscape. No 80 has a particularly intricately decorated entrance doorway and an interior of some quality, including a timber panelled boardroom and a deep open well staircase. The variety of window types, the unusual capping at the gables and the central decorative panel at No 78 are particularly noteworthy, especially in their departure from the more usual Classical style of the surrounding buildings.

The Great North of Scotland Railway Company built and moved into their headquarters at No 80 Guild Street in 1894. They acquired the adjoining no 78 Guild Street in 1910 and both passed to LNER in 1923. The two buildings are linked internally and now operate as a hotel (2006).

Alexander Ellis and Robert Wilson were Aberdeen architects who were in practice together from 1869-1906. They worked extensively in and around Aberdeen and their output included, in the main, houses, churches and other large office buildings.



2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1899-1901). W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1998 p82. C Leith, Alexander Ellis, 1999 pf113. K Jones, The Railways of Aberdeen. 150 Years of History, 2000 p21.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 78 AND 80 GUILD STREET, THE STATION HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 10:01