Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 94369 6550
394369, 806550


William E Gauld, 1905. 6 x 6 bay, primarily square-plan Classical church and associated 3-storey and basement halls and offices, situated on prominent corner site within the city centre. Notable pedimented Ionic entrance elevation at E (Queen Street). Grey granite ashlar, rock-faced to basement and to ground at entrance elevation, rubble to S. Cill courses, eaves cornice, blocking course to N, balustraded parapet. Segmental-arched openings to ground at N.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: Entrance elevation to E: symmetrical 3-bay church with impressive balustraded central Ionic-columned pedimented section rising from 1st storey, incorporating large Venetian window. Pair of segmental-arched openings to ground with recessed multi-panel timber entrance doors. To left, lower 3-bay associated offices with central tripartite windows, pedimented at top storey, others bipartite. 8-panelled 2-leaf timber entrance door with 12-pane fanlight above to ground.

Predominantly multi-pane timber windows, some sash and case, others fixed. Grey slates. Gable and wallhead stacks. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: largely original plan and decorative scheme extant with fine quality timberwork. Impressive and spacious nave and aisle sanctuary with balustraded timber gallery, supported by Ionic cast-iron columns to N, S and W. Timber pews, those to aisles angled communion table, pulpit, choir stalls and organ casing. Architraved part-glazed timber doors with sidelights. Some stained glass at W.

Halls, small chapel and other rooms with timber dado panelling, panelled timber doors, multi-pane glass screens, some cornicing. Open-well stair in vestibule with carved timber balusters and banister.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Queen Street Church has a particularly striking Classical entrance elevation and an impressive near-intact interior, with fine timberwork including an impressive gallery and en suite furniture and pews. The halls, offices and other rooms within the complex are also notable for their quality of timber work and glass screens. The building makes an impact on the streetscape and continues the Classical Aberdeen tradition in its choice of ornament. The pedimented Ionic-columned Venetian window to the East elevation is a particularly striking feature.

The present Church was built on the site of an existing church after the congregation numbers increased to such an extent that a larger church was required. This older church was built as a Free Church in 1844 and had become a United Free Congregation in 1900. This previous church was demolished and the foundation stone laid for the current one on 10th September 1904 by the last surviving daughter of the first minister, Dr John Murray.

The sanctuary has seating for 1000 worshippers and the building contains a large hall at basement level, further smaller halls, church offices and a caretaker's flat. In 1929, the church became a Church of Scotland place of worship and this continues (2006). It was formerly known as The North Church of St Andrew.

William Gauld (1871-1965) was a local Aberdeen architect, who worked mainly in the local area and who was also an elder of the congregation.

Category changed from C(S) to B, 2007.



Leaflet on History of Church. Other information courtesy of church members.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to QUEEN STREET AND WEST NORTH STREET, QUEEN STREET CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 01:13