Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

151 KING STREETLB20643

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/05/1977
Supplementary Information Updated
27/07/2007
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94390 6708
Coordinates
394390, 806708

Description

Arthur Clyne, 1894. 3-storey and attic 9-bay former hotel, with distinctive keystoned horseshoe-arched openings to ground (converted to flats, 1986). Rock-faced granite with broad ashlar courses. Cill courses. Central 8-panel 2-leaf timber door with semicircular fanlight above. Central pedimented dormer with flanking tall stacks and finial detail. Flanking 2-light dormers with tall blocking courses.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows to upper storeys. Multi-pane over 3-pane to ground. Mansard roof, grey slate. Gable stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a striking building within the predominantly Classical planned streetscape of King Street. The rock-faced granite and the horseshoe-arched window openings are unusual features which set it apart from the surrounding Classical streetscape. The classical style was to dominate the planned early nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from an contained Medieval Burgh to a expanding modern city.

Arthur Clyne (1853-1924), was an Aberdeen architect, whose practice merged with John Pirie in 1881 to become that of Pirie and Clyne. Their output focussed mainly on private houses or Episcopal Churches, as Clyne had an interest in the latter Pirie died in 1892. This is one of the relatively few commercial buildings that Clyne designed.

Built as the County Hotel, this building later became the Gordon Highlanders Club before its conversion to flats in 1986.

King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1899-1901). Dictionary of Scottish Architects www.codexgeo.co.uk

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 151 KING STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 01:09