Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

122 AND A HALF TO 132 (EVEN NOS) UNION STREETLB20556

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020
Date Added
12/01/1967
Supplementary Information Updated
27/07/2007
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94013 6158
Coordinates
394013, 806158

Description

Archibald Simpson, 1830. 4-storey and attic 6 by 3-bay classical tenement with altered shops to ground situated on prominent corner site. Grey granite ashlar with some banded piers to ground. Round-arched openings to ground left on Union Street (S elevation). Band course, cill course to 3rd storey, cornice. Some piended dormers.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys, Plate glass to shop fronts. Large tall coped gable stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

This tenement block is situated on a prominent corner site on the North side of Union Street, one of the most important streets in Aberdeen. It was designed by local architect Archibald Simpson who was responsible for many of the Aberdeen's finest Classical buildings. Forming an essential part of the planned street this block was rebuilt after a fire in 1826. The buildings are of a simple classical style which is typical of granite buildings of this period before sophisticated cutting techniques were developed. Some of the round-arched openings have been retained at ground level.

Planned as the major thoroughfare in an increasingly wealthy and confident city, Union Street was a bold and confident project which required major engineering to complete. The buildings which aligned the street had to reflect this sense of grandeur and confidence as the visual appearance of the street was of the utmost importance.

Union Street was developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, haphazard network of Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The former became Union Street. This was a particularly difficult project to complete as the street had to cut through St Katherine's Hill at the East end and be built on a series of arches culminating with a large bridge at the Denburn. The street was to be lined with classical buildings, but the initial idea of having a long, uniform classical design that each new house would have to conform to was abandoned, as it was realised that different purchasers would require some control over the design Some variety was therefore conceded. This variety had, however, to conform to the 'uniformity and regularity of the street' and that between each crossroads, the houses had to be the same height, the same number of storeys (4) and have the same pitch of roof.

Reference from previous list description: G M Fraser, Simpson and his Times. Built for Clerihew; for fire see Aberdeen Journal Feb15th 1826.

Part of B Group with Nos 5-53, 67-89, 95-139, 143-153 (odd nos) Union Street, Nos 26-42, 46-62, 78-106, 114-144 (even nos) Union Street and St Nicholas Churchyard.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1866-7. Cuthbert Graham, Archibald Simpson, Architect of Aberdeen, 1790-1847, 1990, p41. W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide 1998 p97.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 122 AND A HALF TO 132 (EVEN NOS) UNION STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 09:59