Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 94292 6149
394292, 806149


1848 core. James Souttar, late 19th century alterations and extensions. Marshall Mackenzie & Son, 1937, upper storey addition and front façade. 4-storey and attic, 12-bay hotel on sloping corner site, now largely Art-Deco in appearance. Grey granite ashlar. Base course, band courses. Moulded arrises to ground windows. Central entrance bay with canted, recessed door. Recessed moulded copper panel above rising to top storey with moulded balconies to metal-framed windows and tall wallhead parapet above. Later extensions to rear. Moulded cyma recta detail to corner.

Predominantly 4-pane timber sash and case windows with horns to upper storeys. Plate glass to ground with timber glazing bars. Metal casement windows above entrance. Grey slates. Wallhead and ridge stacks.

INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised (2006).

Statement of Special Interest

Buildings in the Art Deco style are rare in Aberdeen and the fine central copper panel here marks it out as a distinctive part of the streetscape.

The original core of the building is difficult to detect, as the later changes, in both the 19th and 20th centuries have apparently eclipsed them. The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map indicates a Hotel at the Southern corner of this building, but it is the 2nd Edition map which shows the footprint of the building as it stands currently.

James Souttar (1840-1922) was born in London and articled to Mackenzie and Mathews in Aberdeen from 1852-1860. He then travelled extensively throughout Europe, living for some time in Sweden. He settled in Aberdeen from 1866 and his output include various work within the City, including the Carmelite Hotel and the Salvation Army Citadel (see separate listings).

The architectural practice of Marshall Mackenzie and Sons (1902-1960) was a successful practice, with offices in both Aberdeen and London. Established by the designs of A. Marshall Mackenzie, the output of the practice included buildings, such as the Waldorf Hotel in London. The works were largely, although not exclusively, based in Aberdeen or London. A. Marshall Mackenzie himself was responsible for the Broad Street elevation of Marischal College in Aberdeen (see separate listing).

Market Street was laid out in 1840 by the architect Archibald Simpson, who had designed many of the classical buildings in the expanding nineteenth century Aberdeen. With John Smith, he was responsible for much of the essential classical character of Aberdeen city. Aberdeen expanded greatly during the nineteenth century, especially in trade reliant on the Harbour, and this street was built to provide easier access from Union Street to the Harbour. It also cleared a notorious slum area of the city called Putachieside. It took its name from a covered indoor market, designed by Archibald Simpson in 1842 and located on the West side of the street, but which subsequently burnt down in 1882. Rebuilt in 1884, this market was replaced by a British Home Stores extension in 1971.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.



2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1899-1901. W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Architectural Guide 1998 p16. Dictionary of Scottish Architects,

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 43 AND 45 MARKET STREET, THE DOUGLAS HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 02/03/2024 03:17