Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

21 AND 23 MARKET STREETLB20446

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1967
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94260 6172
Coordinates
394260, 806172

Description

William Smith, 1858-9. 3-storey and attic, 5-bay symmetrical classical former Bank building (currently commercial premises, 2006). Consoled balustraded balconies to entrance doors at outer bays. Grey granite ashlar, channelled at ground, raised margins to upper storeys. Cill courses. Deep dentilled cornice. Balustraded parapet. Pedimented dormers. 3 central deepset windows to ground. 1st storey with aprons and raised cornices to windows.

Predominately 4-pane timber sash and case windows with wide astragals. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised (2006).

Statement of Special Interest

Built as a branch of the City of Glasgow Bank, this is a well-detailed classical building which makes a positive contribution to the streetscape. The balustraded balconies and parapet are distinctive features which, together with the other classical detailing, mark the building out from the more restrained classical style of the surrounding buildings. The building now contains commercial premises (2006).

William Smith (1817-1891) was the son of John Smith, who was responsible for many of the early nineteenth century classical buildings in Aberdeen City. Based primarily in Aberdeen, William Smith had a prolific output, but is perhaps most well known for designing Balmoral Castle for Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

Market Street was laid out in 1840 by the architect Archibald Simpson, who had designed many of the classical buildings in the expanding nineteenth century Aberdeen. With John Smith, he was responsible for much of the essential classical character of Aberdeen city. Aberdeen expanded greatly during the nineteenth century, especially in trade reliant on the Harbour, and this street was built to provide easier access from Union Street to the Harbour. It also cleared a notorious slum area of the city called Putachieside. It took its name from a covered indoor market, designed by Archibald Simpson in 1842, but which subsequently burnt down in 1882. Rebuilt in 1884, the market was replaced by a British Home Stores extension in 1971.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1866-68. W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1998 p 93. Scottish Dictionary of Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 21 AND 23 MARKET STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/04/2024 22:59