Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

48 MARISCHAL STREETLB20441

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019
Date Added
12/01/1967
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94518 6207
Coordinates
394518, 806207

Description

Circa 1789-1821. 3-storey, 2-bay townhouse situated on sloping site incorporating secondary entrance to the Elim Pentecostal Church (see separate listing) at ground floor left. Grey granite ashlar; eaves band. Recessed doorway with 6-panel timber door, narrow glazed sidelights and astragalled cast-iron fanlight above. Segmental-arched entrance to left (belonging to adjacent Elim Pentecostal Church). Tripartite openings with stone mullions to right bay 1st and 2nd floors. Decorative cast-iron balconies at 1st floor windows. 5-storey to rear (W) elevation with irregular fenestration.

Multi-pane timber sash and case windows with glazed margins at 1st and 2nd floor tripartites. Grey slate. Red brick stack to left gable with granite ashlar facing. Ashlar skew. Clay cans. Recessed cast-iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Special Interest

The Classical styling of No 48 forms a significant part of Marischal Street's lengthy run, contributing to its refined character. It's tripartite windows are a rare type in this part of Aberdeen. No 48 was built between 1789 (Alexander Milne's map of that year shows earlier buildings on Virginia Street below) and 1821 where it can be seen on John Wood's map of that year. The eminent local artist, William Dyce, lived at the address in the early 19th century.

Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of great historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-40 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.

The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.

Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.

References

Bibliography

Alexander Milne, 'A plan of the City of Aberdeen with all the inclosures surrounding the town to the adjacent country, from a survey taken 1789'. John Wood. 'Plan of the Cities of Aberdeen', 1821. Chapman and Riley, 'The City and Royal Burgh of Aberdeen ' Survey and Plan 1949' p.149; Aberdeen Civic Society - 'A survey of Marischal Street With Recommendations For Conservation', 1970; W A Brogden ' Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1986) p.29.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 48 MARISCHAL STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/11/2023 18:04