Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 94463 6321
394463, 806321


Later 18th century (See Notes). 3-storey with attic and basement, 5-bay classical townhouse with later public house to ground floor on sloping site. Loanhead granite ashlar with raised margins; moulded eaves course; regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors. Central 5-light box dormer in mansarded roof. Ground floor public house with symmetrical frontage; stugged ashlar basecourse; large tripartite fixed pane windows flanking recessed 2-leaf door; further recessed entrance at far left.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Ashlar coped skews at right gable; large granite ashlar ridge stack with later red brick upper section; clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: Blackfriars Public House (formerly The Royal Oak) occupies ground and 1st floor of 1-3 and 5-9 Marischal Street. 19th century gantry with later additions and alterations.

Statement of Special Interest

Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is arguably the most significant example of Georgian town planning in Aberdeen. The refined classical styling of Nos 5-9 contributes much to the predominantly unaltered character of the Street's lengthy run. The building was constructed between 1767, when plans for the street were first laid out, and 1789, where the Northerly end of the street is shown as complete on Alexander Milne's map of that date.

Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street is carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline. It is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale developments at Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by almost 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half-way down, this was demolished along with Nos 36-39 and replaced with a wider span granite bridge to allow for the broadening of Virginia Street below.

The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its original character despite the gradual move away from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.

Part of A Group with 3-60 (Inclusive Nos) Marischal Street.



Alexander Milne, 'A plan of the City of Aberdeen with all the inclosures surrounding the town to the adjacent country, from a survey taken 1789'. Chapman and Riley, 'The City and Royal Burgh of Aberdeen - Survey and Plan 1949' p.149; Aberdeen Civic Society - 'A survey of Marischal Street With Recommendations For Conservation', 1970; W A Brogden - Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1986) p.29

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 5-9 (ODD NOS) MARISCHAL STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/03/2023 02:03