Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

142 KING STREETLB20412

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
12/01/1967
Supplementary Information Updated
27/07/2007
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94450 6690
Coordinates
394450, 806690

Description

John Smith, pre 1828 (for himself). 2-storey and attic, 2-bay Classical former villa and offices with prominent central fluted Doric columned porch and pedimented blocking course. Reached from round-arched pend on King Street leading to small, cobbled courtyard. Wet harl. Piended dormers. Large, late 20th century extension to S. Now Social club (2006).

Some 4-pane timber sash and case windows, others boarded up. Grey slate. Gable stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen at time of resurvey (2006). Believed to be modernised.

Statement of Special Interest

Designed by renowned local architect John Smith as his residence and office, 142 King Street is now situated in a secluded courtyard and approached through a round-arched pend and across a cobbled courtyard. With its Doric porch and pedimented blocking course, the house maintains the Classical style which was prevalent in 19th century Aberdeen. Smith, with Archibald Simpson, was largely responsible for this Classical dominance within the city and here also chooses it for himself. The 1828 Wood Map of Aberdeen suggests that the villa originally had an open outlook towards the North-West.

John Smith (1781-1852), a native of Aberdeen, established himself in architectural practice in the city in 1804. He became the Master of Work in 1824 and designed many of Aberdeen's public buildings, showing an expertise in working with granite. With Archibald Simpson, (1790-1847), he was one of the major architects involved in designing the expanding nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. His other works include the Aberdeen Arts Centre and St Clement's East Church (see separate listings).

Currently in commercial use (2006).

References from previous list description: Aberdeen Directory, 1824. Chapman and Riley, p 148.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.

References

Bibliography

John Wood, Plan of the Cities of Aberdeen 1828, NLS. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1866-68. Scottish Dictionary of Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 142 KING STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 04/08/2020 21:15