Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

82-96 (EVEN NOS) KING STREET AND 2-8 (EVEN NOS) FREDERICK STREETLB20402

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
12/01/1967
Supplementary Information Updated
27/07/2007
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94438 6588
Coordinates
394438, 806588

Description

Before 1828 (see Notes). 3-storey and attic, 9 and 8 bay Classical tenement row, situated on corner site with shops to ground and with principal elevation to King Street (W). Distinctive triangular cyma recta detail above entrance at corner to N. Coursed granite rubble. Eaves band. Continuous timber consoled fascia above shops, separated by 4 and 6-panel timber entrance doors leading to flats above. Segmental arched pend opening to N elevation. Later attic dormers.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows with later plate glass to shops. Grey slates. Raised skews, coped gable and ridge stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

This Classical row of tenements is one of the earliest to be built on King Street and is a good example of its type. It was constructed between 1794 when King Street was planned and 1828 when it appears on John Wood's plan of Aberdeen. The continuous consoled timber fascia to the shopfronts is an unusual survival. The cyma recta detail is a typical Aberdeen feature. With its restrained, classical style, the row forms an essential component for the planned streetscape of King Street. The classical style was to dominate the planned early nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from an contained Medieval Burgh to a modern developing classical city.

King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher. This was to be a long classical façade, with a pedimented centrepiece and higher end blocks. This design was begun on the East side in 1805, with the creation of nos 8-10 (see separate listing). The idea of a standard, uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings. It was then decided to allow some variations between designs, whilst keeping to the essential classical style.

Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.

References

Bibliography

John Wood, Plan of the Cities of Aberdeen 1828, NLS. W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1998 p 69. R MacInnes, The Aberdeen Guide, 2000 p147. John Smith and David Stevenson, Aberdeen in the Nineteenth Century 1988 p48.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 82-96 (EVEN NOS) KING STREET AND 2-8 (EVEN NOS) FREDERICK STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 02:44