Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

2-6 (EVEN NOS) KING STREET AND 7 AND 8 CASTLE STREETLB20394

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1967
Supplementary Information Updated
27/12/2018
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94458 6397
Coordinates
394458, 806397

Description

John Smith 1810. 4-storey and attic 4 x 4-bay Classical tenement building with commercial premises to ground, situated on prominent corner site and with distinctive curved corner entrance bay. Grey granite ashlar, rubble to rear. Round-arched openings to ground with band course above. Cill courses, cornice, blocking course to corner. Wide curved corner with 4-panel 2-leaf timber entrance door with timber side panels and astragalled semicircular fanlight above. Tripartite windows above with narrow timber mullions; decorative iron balcony to 1st storey. Pedimented and piended dormers. Castle street elevation (S) with elliptical arched pend to far right.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys. Plate glass to ground. Mansard roof. Coped wallhead and gable stacks. Grey slate.

Statement of Special Interest

Situated at a crucial corner at the junction of three major streets in the city centre of Aberdeen, this well-detailed and restrained Classical building is a visual landmark. The curved corner with the broad entrance door and fanlight and tripartite windows with timber mullions above is a particularly fine detail. It was the first building to be designed for the city by John Smith. He created a building of high quality, utilising the Classical style which was to become the dominating architecture for the city in the nineteenth century. The bold town planning which created Union Street and King Street was the defining gesture which allowed Aberdeen to develop from an contained Medieval Burgh to rational modern city. This importance is recognised in the B Group designation for this first section of King Street. The building is also a significant part of the streetscape of Castle Street.

King Street developed after 1794, when a town council meeting asked the engineer Charles Abercrombie to find a way to connect the original steep, muddled Medieval streets of Aberdeen to the surrounding countryside. His plan was for two streets, one of which would run from Castlegate to the Denburn and the other which would run from the Castlegate to the North of the town. The latter was King Street. A competition for designs for this new street brought forward a design from Thomas Fletcher and David Burn. This was to be a long classical façade, with a pedimented centrepiece and higher end blocks. This design was begun here in 1805 with nos 8-10, which is one storey higher than its neighbours to the North. The idea of a standard uniform terrace, however, was abandoned when negotiations had to be entered into with owners regarding the length of the frontages and the heights of the buildings. It was then decided to allow some variations between designs.

Castle Street, also known as the Castlegate is one of the oldest parts of Aberdeen, and has been the market place since the 12th century. The buildings in the area now date mainly from the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century and reflect the improvements in the city at this times.

John Smith (1781-1852), a native of Aberdeen, established himself in architectural practice in the city in 1804. He became the Master of Work in 1824 and designed many of Aberdeen's public buildings, showing an expertise in working with granite. With Archibald Simpson, (1790-1847), he was one of the major architects involved in designing the expanding nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. His other works include the Aberdeen Arts Centre and St Clement's East Church (see separate listings).

Part of B Group with 5 Castle Street, Nos 1-56 (inclusive nos) King Street and St Andrews Episcopal Cathedral.

References

Bibliography

John Wood, Plan of the Cities of Aberdeen 1828, NLS. W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1998 p 70. R MacInnes, The Aberdeen Guide, 2000 p147. John Smith and David Stevenson, Aberdeen in the Nineteenth Century 1988 p48. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2-6 (EVEN NOS) KING STREET AND 7 AND 8 CASTLE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 02:33