Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

1-7 (ODD NOS) JUSTICE STREET, INCLUDING PEND TO CHAPEL COURTLB20384

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1967
Supplementary Information Updated
31/01/2019
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94531 6431
Coordinates
394531, 806431

Description

Earlier 19th century. 3-storey and attic 6-bay Classical tenement building with shops to ground flanking central segmental-arched opening leading to Chapel Court. Grey granite ashlar, rubble to rear. Band course, cill course to 2nd storey, low stepped blocking course. Central archway with pilastered reveals, surmounted with iron urns and with decorative iron gates. Central coped wallhead stack to street elevation (S) with pair of small window openings. Pair of attic dormers. Recessed entrance doors to shops.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to upper storeys, plate glass to shops. Grey slates. Coped gable stacks.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a good example of a Classical tenement, situated to the NE of the Castle Street area. It makes a significant contribution to the streetscape and adjoins nos 19-23 Castle Street (see separate listing). It is distinguished by its segmental-arched opening which leads into Chapel Court where St Peter's Roman Catholic Church of 1803 is situated (see separate listing). The simple Classical style is typical of granite buildings of this period before sophisticated cutting techniques were developed. This tenement was erected circa 1843, after the previous tenement on the site was pulled down by the then priest of the church, Charles Gordon in 1828 as part of general alterations and extensions required for the expanding St Peter's Church.

Reference from previous list description: Rev Charles Gordon's Minute Book.

Part of B Group with Nos 1-7 Justice Street, Nos 9-23, 31-35, 40-48, 51 and 52 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, and Salvation Army Citadel.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1866-68). W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1998 p29. Ranald MacInnes, The Aberdeen Guide, 2000 p147. Alisdair Roberts (ed), St Peter's Church 1804-2004, History Booklet, 2004.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-7 (ODD NOS) JUSTICE STREET, INCLUDING PEND TO CHAPEL COURT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 02:17