Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 94461 6326
394461, 806326


Dated 1763. 3-storey and attic, 4 bay townhouse with later public house to ground floor sited on prominent corner location. Loanhead granite ashlar with raised margins.

Castle Street (N) Elevation: eaves course. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors. Canted dormers flanking nepus gable with two attic windows. Later, public house fascia at ground floor returns to Marischal Street with signage breaking window line at first storey.

Marischal Street (W) elevation: 5 bay with original door to centre bay blocked and multi-pane fixed tripartite window with stone mullions to far right. Substantial moulded eaves cornice with prominent triangular gable end above featuring moulded arch and shallow recess flanked by square attic windows.

Predominately 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar granite stacks to N, S and W gables; terracotta cans. Recessed cast-iron rain water goods.

INTERIOR: Blackfriars Public House, predominantly modernised, now internally linked to 5-9 Marischal Street, also listed at category B, at ground floor. 19th century gantry with later additions and alterations including stained glass thought to originate from demolished chapel near Aberdeen.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of B Group with Nos 9-23 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, Nos 31-35 (inclusive nos) and 40-48 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, 51 and 52 Castle Street and Salvation Army Citadel.

Occupying a prominent corner site at a crucial city centre location in the Castlegate, this building is a significant part of the streetscape and is a good example of later 18th century building. The Nepus gable is a traditional feature of early Scottish tenements and combined with the wide regularly spaced bays of the principal storeys, it prefigures the Classical style of architecture which was to dominate the character of Aberdeen in the 19th century.

Formed on the site of the Earl Marischal's lodging and linking Castlegate with the Harbour below, Marischal Street (designed by William Law, 1767) is of considerable historic interest in terms of the early development of Classical Aberdeen. Carried on embankments down a partly vaulted incline, it is the earliest example of this type of construction in Aberdeen, anticipating the larger scale development of Union Street and Edinburgh's South Bridge by 20 years. Originally having a fine granite bridge half way down, this was demolished and replaced in 1983 along with adjacent Nos 36-38 and 37-39 to allow the widening of Virginia Street below.

The buildings occupying the Southern half of the street are attributed to William Smith (d.1812), father of John Smith (the renowned Aberdeen architect - b.1781) and are generally grander and more varied. The street as a whole retains much of its refinement and original character despite the gradual move from domestic to commercial ownership throughout 19th century. It is thought to be the first street in Aberdeen paved with square granite sets.



Alexander Milne, 'A plan of the City of Aberdeen with all the inclosures surrounding the town to the adjacent country, from a survey taken 1789'. Chapman and Riley, 'The City and Royal Burgh of Aberdeen - Survey and Plan 1949' p.149; Aberdeen Civic Society - 'A survey of Marischal Street With Recommendations For Conservation' 1970; W A Brogden - Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1986) p.29

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 51 AND 52 CASTLE STREET AND 1 AND 3 MARISCHAL STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 01:56