Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

17 CASTLE STREETLB20166

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1967
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94496 6413
Coordinates
394496, 806413

Description

Possibly William Law (see Notes), circa 1760. 2-storey and attic, 4-bay townhouse with commercial premises to ground with round-arched pend opening to right. Coursed Loanhead granite. Raised moulded lugged architraves to 1st storey, moulded eaves cornice. Pair of piended, canted dormers. 4-panel, 2-leaf timber entrance door to left with glazed fanlight above. Late 20th century extension to rear (N).

12-pane timber sash and case windows to 1st storey; multi-pane with timber astragals to ground. Steeply pitched roof with grey slates.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a rare survivor of a late 18th century building in the Castlegate. Although 17th and 18th century buildings previously dominated the Castlegate area, these were mostly replaced in the 19th century. This building is similar to other later 18th century houses on Marischal Street (see separate listings). Its regularly spaced windows is indicative of the beginning of the Classical style in Aberdeen. The steep pitch of the roof and the use of the softer, beige-coloured Loanhead granite distinguish this building from the later and taller buildings surrounding it which are constructed from harder grey granite. Loanhead granite was the building material used before new technology facilitated cutting harder types of granite.

The pend to the right of this building originally led to Albion Court, a terrace of 2-storey, 19th century houses, built on 17th century foundations. These were demolished in 1985.

Brogden writes that this building may be the work of William Law, an 18th century Aberdeen builder-architect who was closely involved with the expansion and improvement of 18th century Aberdeen.

Castle Street (or Castlegate) is considered by many to be the heart of Aberdeen city centre. It has been the site of the main market place since the 12th century. It contains a 17th century Mercat Cross (a Scheduled Ancient Monument). The central rectangular area has, through the centuries, been bounded by a succession of different buildings, predominantly private houses and commercial premises. The Tolbooth was built here in the 17th century. The earlier buildings were replaced from the 19th century onwards using the existing footprint, and therefore the important large central space which continues to form a focal point for the city was retained.

Part of B Group with Nos 1-7 Justice Street, Nos 9-23, 31-35, 40-48, 51 and 52 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, and Salvation Army Citadel.

References

Bibliography

John Wood, Plan of the Cities of Aberdeen 1828, NLS. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map 1866-68. Howard Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, 1995 p602. John Smith and David Stevenson (eds), Aberdeen in the Nineteenth Century, 1988 pf47. W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1998 p26. Ranald MacInnes, The Aberdeen Guide, 2000 p145. www.scran.ac.uk

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 17 CASTLE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 01:54