Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 94129 9606
394129, 809606


Richard Cementarius 1314-18, repaired circa 1444, largely rebuilt early 17th century, repaired William Smith 1861, repaired William Smith and John Willet circa 1877, approaches widened and buttressed 1912. Single span, steeply pitched, pointed arch, ashlar road bridge over River Don, with slightly corbelled parapets and narrow roadway.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with items 392-400 (Aberdeen Burgh). Also part of a separate B-Group with 2-20 Cottown of Balgownie (see separate listing).

The ancient Brig O'Balgownie was the only route into Aberdeen from the north until 1827. It was "Built by Richard Cementarius, the first provost of Aberdeen (also credited with building the keep at Drum, since the arch is said to be identical in profile to the upper vault of Drum Castle)" (Brogden). Costs were covered by the Bridge of Don Fund which also provided some £17,000 in 1827 to pay for the new bridge. In 1981 a plaque, detailing its history, was placed on the bridge.

Formerly listed at category A in Old Machar Parish (HBNum 15669) and in Aberdeen Burgh (HBNum 20067). Listing combined and description revised 2009.

Formerly scheduled (scheduled monument reference number 104). De-scheduled on 16 February 2009.

List description updated 2009.



Statistical Account. Ed Henry Hamilton The County of Aberdeen Third Statistical Account (1960), pp144-5. Nicol History of The Old Bridge of Don. Chapman and Riley pl5, p147. British Bridges (Public Works Congress) p432. W Brogden Aberdeen An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1998), pp178-9. [accessed 11.12.08]. [accessed 11.12.08].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRIG O' BALGOWNIE OVER RIVER DON

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/09/2019 22:12