There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Group Category Details: B
- see notes
- Date Added: 19/03/1984
- Local Authority: Aberdeen
- Planning Authority: Aberdeen
- Burgh: Aberdeen
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NJ 93953 4493
- Coordinates: 393953, 804493
Arthur Taylor, sculptor; John Cassidy of Manchester, designer, 1883. Dressed white-grey granite statue of Hygeia. Cruciform base with pink granite recumbent lion to each arm; chamfered panelled plinth with inscription "THIS PARK WAS PRESENTED BY ELIZABETH CROMBIE DUTHIE TO THE CITY OF ABERDEEN, AND WAS OPENED BY H.R.H. PRINCESS BEATRICE ON 27TH SEPTEMBER 1883"; Corinthian column with fluted shaft surmounted by statue of Hygeia holding snake drinking from cup.
Statement of Special Interest
B-Group with Duthie Park Bandstand, Bowling Pavilion, East Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, Footbridge over Upper Lake, Fountain, Fountainhall Cistern House, Gordon Highlanders Celtic Memorial, Gordon Highlanders Obelisk Memorial, McGrigor Obelisk, Taylor Well, and Temperance Drinking Fountain (see separate listings). The site of the Duthie Park was originally a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, now "Polmuir". In 1850 Arthurseat (the villa on the site) and its surrounding land was intended to be developed as a Royal Garden to view the trains crossing the new viaduct to and from London via Ferryhill. However, in 1881 Miss Charlotte Duthie of Ruthrieston purchased the site and gifted it to the City of Aberdeen for a public park. It was decided it should be "available for all classes of citizens, that it should have a broad expanse of grassy sward upon which the young might indulge in innocent frolic and play..." (Duthie Park, p37). The park was designed by William R McKelvie of Dundee, and the first sod, of the 47 acres of land, was cut on the 27th of August 1881, the park being officially opened in 1883. The Hygeia Statue commemorates the Miss Duthie's presentation of the Duthie Park to the City of Aberdeen, and its opening by Princess Beatrice. It was originally made of clay, then cast in plaster, before finally being carved in granite by Arthur Taylor, using the first 2 mechanical pneumatic hammers which had been used in this way in the country. In 1900 Mr Taylor presented the hammers to the Aberdeen Mechanical Society. The four lions around the plinth of the statue are supposed to represent the strong citizens in the park. Hygeia is the Goddess of Health, she is shown as a virgin, holding a cup from which a snake (the symbol of health) drinks.
Aberdeen City Archives, Scale Drawing of MONUMENT TO BE ERECTED IN THE DUTHIE PARK, (circa 1883); THE DUTHIE PARK, (1883); F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND: A SURVEY OF SCOTTISH TOPOGRAPHY, STATISTICAL, BIOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL, Vol 1, (1886), p11; A I McConnochie, 50 VIEWS OF THE GRANITE CITY, (circa 1900), p46; 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAP; W D Chapman & C F Riley, GRANITE CITY: A PLAN FOR ABERDEEN, (1952), p149; DUTHIE PARK: 100 YEARS OF PLEASURE, (1985); J S Reid, MECHANICAL ABERDEEN, (1990), p8-9; W A Brogden, ABERDEEN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (2nd Edition, 1998), p162; NMRS Photographs.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.