Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

25-30 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CASTLE STREET, 3 CASTLE STREET, 6-14 (EVEN NOS) JUSTICE STREET AND 1-5 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CASTLE HILL, SALVATION ARMY CITADELLB19996

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/05/1977
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94550 6384
Coordinates
394550, 806384

Description

James Souttar, 1893-6. Large 4-storey and attic 7-bay, U-plan, castellated, crow-stepped multi-gabled Scots Baronial Salvation Army complex. Comprising hall, flats and shops (see Notes) and with dominant 5-stage square-plan turreted tower. Shops to ground (altered). Grey granite ashlar to E. Dark coursed granite with light coloured dressings to N and S elevations. Corner turrets, bartizans, string courses, corbelled and crenellated parapet. Segmental arched windows to principal elevation (E).

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: asymmetrical elevations. Principal elevation to E. Large recessed segmental-arched windows to central 3 bays comprising 2-light arched windows with round window above. To left, slightly advanced bay with steps leading to round-arched entrance porch with corbelled oriel windows above. Tower rises from roof above with corbelled round crenellated turret to NW corner.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Some coloured emblematic glass to hall windows. Grey slate. Grey fish-scale slating to turrets.

INTERIOR: 3-storey central hall with stage and 3-sided gallery, supported by decorative columns. Timber flooring. Some other large rooms with timber dado-panelling. Flats largely altered.

Statement of Special Interest

This is a large and prominent building, situated in the Castlegate and terminating the Eastwards vista of Union Street. In Scots Baronial style, it is dominated by its bartizaned tower. Using a variety of castellated stylistic devices, it gives an impressive and commanding presence to this area of the city and forms a foil to the Town House nearby.

The third plan to be finally approved by the City, the Citadel was built by the Salvation Army as a complete complex comprising a worship hall in the centre, shops at ground level and surrounded by domestic flats. At cost of £23,000, the building was placed specifically within an area of large population and social need. A building of this size and complexity was an unusual departure for the Salvation Army, whose normal preference was to have one hall that served a more multi-purpose use. Some of the flats were specifically for Salvation Army personnel use, and these had direct access to the Hall. It is suggested that General Booth, touring the country prior to the building of the Citadel, was very taken with the style of the tower at Balmoral Castle and planned a similar one for the Citadel.

James Souttar (1840-1922) was born in London and articled to Mackenzie and Mathews in Aberdeen from 1852-1860. He then travelled extensively throughout Europe, living for some time in Sweden. He settled in Aberdeen from 1866 and his output include various work within the City, including the Carmelite Hotel (see separate listing). The Salvation Army Citadel is widely considered to be his best work.

Part of B Group with Nos 1-7 Justice Street, Nos 9-23, 31-35, 40-48, 51 and 52 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, and Salvation Army Citadel.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1899-1901. W A Brogden, Aberdeen, An Architectural Guide 1998 pf25. Scottish Dictionary of Architects www.codexgeo.co.uk. Further information courtesy of Salvation Army.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 25-30 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CASTLE STREET, 3 CASTLE STREET, 6-14 (EVEN NOS) JUSTICE STREET AND 1-5 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CASTLE HILL, SALVATION ARMY CITADEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/05/2020 00:34