Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

14, 15 AND 16 REGENT QUAY, HARBOUR OFFICESLB19986

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/03/1984
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94445 6165
Coordinates
394445, 806165

Description

A. Marshall Mackenzie, 1883-5. Asymmetrical, 4-storey, classical Harbour Offices on prominent corner site with 2-stage square-plan clock tower with stone dome, centrally placed on flat roof. Grey granite ashlar to principal elevations (E and N) and tower, coursed pink granite to rear. Some raised granite margins. Slightly advanced, tetrastyle, partially fluted, Ionic pilastered pedimented sections rising from 1st storey on E and N façades, both asymmetrically placed. Round arched openings to ground with decorative carved keystone details. Base course. Cill courses to 1st and 3rd storeys. Blocking course.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows to E façade. 2-pane plate-glass windows to ground with circular motif to upper lights. Non-traditional windows to other elevations. Low, broad wallhead stacks.

INTERIOR: comprehensively modernised (2006).

Statement of Special Interest

This is a landmark building in Aberdeen, not only as an example of the renowned A. Marshall Mackenzie's work, but also because it was constructed for the Harbour Board, one of Aberdeen's principal industries on the late nineteenth century. The tall clock tower is unusually located within the centre of the flat roof and, coupled with the building's prominent corner location ensured that the Harbour Offices would dominate the Harbour area. The building has some fine classical detailing, especially in the tower and ground floor arches. The pedimented sections are placed asymmetrically on the building as this was a building to be viewed primarily from the harbour entry into Aberdeen. Built as new Harbour Board Offices, it signifies the prosperity that the Harbour was enjoying at the end of the nineteenth century.

Aberdeen Harbour is reputed to be Britain's oldest business, having been trading continuously since 1136, when King David granted the Bishops of Aberdeen the right to levy a tithe on all ships trading at the port. During the succeeding centuries, the Harbour increased its international trade with record levels following the Union of Parliaments in 1707. The advent of steam in the 1880s brought more significant developments to the Harbour and this Office building dates from that period of expansion.

A. Marshall Mackenzie (1848-1933) was a Scottish architect of national repute. Born in Elgin, he was part of a architect dynasty. Although mainly associated with building in the North-East of Scotland, he also received the prestige of a Royal Commission in 1895 when asked to build the new Mar Lodge outside Braemar for Queen Victoria's grand-daughter, the Duchess of Fife. His output includes many significant public buildings in Aberdeen including Marischal College (1906). (See separate listing.)

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1892). W.A.Brogden Aberdeen An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1986 p 76. John R. Turner, Scotland's North Sea Gateway, 1986. Harbour Board website www.aberdeen-harbour.co.uk . Scottish Dictionary of Architects www.codexgeo.co.uk/dsa .

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14, 15 AND 16 REGENT QUAY, HARBOUR OFFICES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/06/2024 01:53