Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

GALLOWGATE, ST MARGARET OF SCOTLAND (EPISCOPAL) CHURCH, INCLUDING RECTORY AND BOUNDARY WALLLB19960

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1967
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 94193 6726
Coordinates
394193, 806726

Description

James Matthews, 1870 with 2 additional chapels by J Ninian Comper, 1889 and 1908. Rectory, George Irvine, 1908. Aisleless church with later smaller chapels to S and W and with attached 2-storey and attic L-plan rectory to SW, situated on prominent site overlooking city. Tooled, coursed granite rubble with cream sandstone dressings. Some Gothic tracery windows. Late 20th century roof dormers to church.

Entrance elevation to S with steps leading to off-centre, advanced crow-stepped gabled porch with round-arched entrance. Large carved timber crucifix to right.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows to rectory. Grey slates to main church roof, red pantiles to rectory and chapels. Raised skews and skewputts. Coped wallhead and gable stacks to rectory.

INTERIOR: nave with open timber roof with rafters springing from stone corbels. Steps to raised sanctuary. 3 pointed-arched openings to chapel to S. Carved decorative oak altar, pulpit and pews. Chapel to S with intricately carved, partly gilded open timber screen. Chapel to W with finely decorated wrought-iron chancel screen.

Good quality stained glass windows, some by Ninian Comper, depicting a variety of liturgical themes.

BOUNDARY WALL: high, coped, coursed rubble wall surrounding church complex.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Situated on a high, prominent site above the city, the church is a dominant feature in the landscape. The small chapel to the W of the nave is an early work by the celebrated architect Sir Ninian Comper and was his first complete buiding. A further Comper Chapel of 1908 and some fine stained glass windows are of particular note in this church. Ninian Comper's father, John, was the first Rector and founder of the parish and the chapel of 1908 was Ninian's memorial to him.

Rev John Comper was the rector at St John's Church in Aberdeen but resigned his incumbency in 1870 to devote himself to full-time mission work in the then notorious Gallowgate area of the city. He, and The Sisters of Mercy ran a day school, and evening classes for men and women. This mission became St Margaret's Church and was initially just a large nave which was gradually enlarged by the additions of the chapels by John's son Ninian, and the rectory.

James Matthews (1819-1898) was a prolific architect, working mainly in Aberdeen, Elgin and Inverness, and who was in partnership with his one-time trainee, A Marshall Mackenzie from 1877-93. Matthews output includes large public and smaller private buildings. He became Lord Provost of Aberdeen in 1883 and was mainly responsible for the City Improvement Act of 1883 which included the building of School hill and Rosemount Viaduct which gave improved access to the city. He is buried in St Nicholas Churchyard (see separate listing).

John Ninian Comper (1864-1960) was one of the finest 20th century church architect and designers. He was born in Aberdeen and his work is found throughout the UK. His output consists mainly of internal church furnishings and stained glass, with few complete buildings. His church designs marry a decorative architecture, based on various ecclesiastical styles, with the liturgical processes of the church.

George Irvine, born in England, worked in Aberdeen in the early part of the 20th century, but had moved to Edinburgh by 1910.

References

Bibliography

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey Map, 1899-1901. A Gammie, The Churches of Aberdeen, 1909 W H Fraser & C H Lee (eds) Aberdeen 1800-2000, A New History, 2000 p357. Guide to Church. Scottish Dictionary of Architects, www.codexgeo.co.uk Other information courtesy of Rector.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GALLOWGATE, ST MARGARET OF SCOTLAND (EPISCOPAL) CHURCH, INCLUDING RECTORY AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 16:45